Upgrading OS from USB to SSD

• Hello,

I initially installed OMV on using a USB disk so that I could disable the server easily when on vacation so that if stolen the data would be very difficult to recover. Well, realizing how bad of an idea this was as OMV runs like crap on a USB, I have now bought a SSD to replace it. Before I go and do a clean install of OMV and have to set the entire system up again, I was wondering if there was a way to clone the USB over to the SSD using the server. I have tried to look online but didn't get too far. Is there any way to perform this? Thanks in advance.

• Take a look at the backup plugin. There are several options for you to do this. I would suggest the Clonezilla option. This should allow you to make a backup of the USB install and then restore it to the SSD. That will at least get you started with booting OMV. You could then use gparted to increase the partition size on the SSD. I'm sorry I don't have a lot of details how to do this since I have not tried it on OMV. This should be a good starting point for you though.

• Good suggestions from shadowzero. Should clone over no problem.

I run my OMV on a small, 30GB SSD (smallest I could find). But it isn't bolted into the PC case or connected as SATA.

I put it into a $7.99 external 2.5in SSD case that connects to the PC via USB.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171410…geName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Runs fine, very snappy. And you can easily unplug the drive and lock it up.

My OMV case is a Silverstone DS380, and all the hard drives are on removable trays so I can easily take them out and lock them up when away.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thank you so much for the help. I was able to get clonezilla to move over the OS and now I am running off of the SSD. But when it came to using GParted to resize the partition I got lost. I am a complete newbie when it comes to GRUB/OMV and its features. I found the GParted website and read up on how to use it, but it appears that they use a GUI to perform all of the operations in the instructions. Do you know of any documentation on how to run GParted through either GRUB or if possible through the OMV web browser?

• Well, if you want to use GParted which is GUI, then get a LiveCD/DVD distribution such as Ubuntu or Linux Mint, boot from that and go from there.

Strong suggestion though: Disconnect all your data drives if you are trying to do this on your OMV machine. If you aim GParted or other low level tools at the wrong disk, your data could be lost.

As for me, I grow partitions with fdisk by hand then expand the filesystem into the now larger partition. But......this can cause you to also lose the data on the disk if you make even the tiniest error or continue to proceed when you shouldn't. But since you still have the original USB stick you can always try again.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thank you so much for all the help and suggestions. I am still trying to figure out how to use fdisk to expand the drive, but it seems do-able, I just haven't gotten it right yet. I might give GParted a try and see how that goes. Thank you again everyone, it is greatly appreciated!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Systemrescuecd includes gparted
    If you boot sysrescuecd and then log in with ssh you can change the running sshd config adding

Code
    X11forwarding yes
    X11DisplayOffset 10

restart ssh and login again with -X

in the console you can then type gparted and the window will appear in your machine. This works in OSX if you have X11 installed. I think in windows you can use Xming i believe.

This avoids pulling the SSD out or attaching a screen. Gparted is really good for resizing partitions. Once you see gparted graphical log, you'll see the whole bunch of operations it performs, not nice for doing it in cli with fdisk

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!