Migrate Raid 1 to Raid 5 without data loss !!!

• Hi everybody, i am a new user who want to use/try openmediavault.
    At the moment i am on a qnap 412 Nas, and all works fine so far.
    Only prroblem is that i ran out of storage space.
    The installed 4x3tb hdd's with raid.5.are full now!
    Now i have some hardware stuff in thee office to built me a own nas/server to run with openmediavault.
    My essential question is....

Is it possible to start with a 4tb disk theen if money comes i put a second one in the server and migrate to Raid 1 without data loss or copy the content to another device meanwhile!
    Then in the near future i will put a third hdd into and migrate from raid 1 to raid 5! Also without data loss or copy anything to another hdd if the raid is built!

Is there any chance on this or is this impossible!?!
    I think its possible with the qnap, but i havent tested it!
    Its to expensive to buy 4 new hdd in one go.
    Hope someone could help me a bit :)
    Greetz Stealth

• Yes is possible. But is not straightforward, you need to work with raid degraded modes. And start moving data around r1 and r5 both in degraded modes.

btrfS can do raid conversion on the fly, but you will have to wait until Jessie with a backport kernel for raid5 support.

Ok, first of all thx for the more or less possitive answer ;):thumbup:
    Would be great if theres a way to do that.
    But also i am a little bit confused now.
    Can you tell me in easy words how i could start now without many troubles?!? :D
    Who is Jessie by the way.....
    A lot of questions i know, but i am a newbie on linux so far!
    I try to find some stuff with the search function but if you dont know what you searching for, this could beva mess.....:o
    Greetz Stealth

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would be great if theres a way to do that.

This is not a classroom and i am not gonna write a tutorial, this is serious stuff. I'd recommend you to read about mdadm (Software raid manager in linux) operations. Look in google about how to convert a single disk to raid1, plenty stuuf. keywords are degraded raid linux. Basically you create a raid1 with one disk, then from the other disk you copy contents, wipe the old single disk add it to the raid1, now the raid1 has two drives how is suppose too.

The best thing you can do now is learn and practice without compromising real stuff...the place to start is Virtual Machine, virtualbox in your laptop and you have omv machine to destroy with several virtual disks. single disk to raid1 to raid5.

Who is Jessie by the way.

Jessie is the codename for debian 8, the current stable release for DEbian. OMV 3 is gonna be based on debian 8

I try to find some stuff with the search function but if you dont know what you searching for

Don't use the search in the forum, use google like site:forums.openmediavault.org

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!