HP Microserver N40L moded Bios and mdadm raid

• Hello All,
    I have been reading about the modded bios for the HP N40L, from what im reading the AHCI functionality can dramatically improve the performance your your raid.
    My current configuration is a MDADM Raid 5, will this pose any issue for the existing mdadm raid or the existing installation of OMV?

Thank you

Drew

• Offizieller Beitrag

It shouldn't. Linux will still find the drives and go by their UUID.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

It shouldn't. Linux will still find the drives and go by their UUID.

Thanks. I went ahead and flashed the modded bios and I cant say if there is an improvment. im getting about 55-60MB/s write to my mdadm raid 5

Drew

• Offizieller Beitrag

Depends on the file size. Large files should be faster than that.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi,

You can easily reach 100MB/s over GBitlan under the following conditions:

1. You are using the 5 3.5" Hard drives in your raid array only (btw. the patched firmare only enables fast speed on the optical SATA port).
    2. You are using harddrives capable of that write speeds you need. For write speed you need to dived the speed you want to reach by the disks in use in your raid5 without the parity disk (which is if you have a raid5 with 3 disks = 100MB/s / 2 = 50 MB/s required for each drive). This should not be an issue but can be for older drives.
    3. You need to tune the FS and depending on the disks you are using (4k sector size) you need to make sure that the filesystem is aligned to the sector boundaries. Especially important are the mount options for ext4. You should disable journaling of the data and only activate journaling of the metadata.
    4. You need to connect the N40L to a network switch, that is capable to deliver the required performance. Not every home use gbit switch is really able to deliver gbit.
    5. You need to attach a host to it, that is also connected with gbit, can handle gbit and can deliver data from something with high enough bandwith. A dynamic io tool will potentially get better results if you have a bottleneck on your client disk subsystem. If you have an SSD, use it as source for your testings it will definately outperform your gbit link.
    6. Use the right network protocol for your demands. So if you use a Mac, do not use CIFS protocol as MACs are known to handle CIFS very bad. If you have a MAC use AFP instead. Windows7 (I have not tested it with XP) is easily capable of maxing out the Gbit interface with CIFS and openmediavault is as well.

As you see there are several thing to consider and an analysis need to be allways follow the whole chain.

So it is definately not the N40L and not OMV in general, but anything inside your end2end setup.

Also you do not need to patch the N40L, if you only want to use the 4 built-in 3.5" hdd slots (as I do), as there is no performance increase there.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!