Thinking of going DIY with OMV but want to match my QNAP capabilities

• I have a TS-469L 4xBay QNAP NAS. I was looking to upgrade my NAS to an 8 bay with new drives but decided to look at DIY offerings.

Important features for me are:

1. RAID 6
    2. Dynamic Raid expansion (meaning adding disks to seemlessly expand/grow the array)
    3. Being able to replace the disks on the fly with larger ones to grow the array (ie. have a 5 x 3TB array and then decide to replace each drive with 6TB drives and have the array grow).

I';ll be using my NAS for things like a general storage, backup and media server device (Plex, itunes, etc).

Will OMV support these things?

• 1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes

and supports a lot more....

Thanks a lot. That confirmation was what I was looking for. Oddly enough, I couldn't find those answers easily with searching so I thought I'd ask around here.

I guess it's off to putting together my hardware. My biggest concern with getting another QNAP (I have been *really* happy with it) was the idea that if I had something go wrong with the unit, I'd have to send it away to get repaired. That did happen to me once, mind you, they fixed the unit and when I got it back, I just plugged the drives in and away it went. I was nice that all the configuration resided on the raid array so I didn't have to do anything like restore the config from a back or anything like that.

However, putting my own together would allow me to be really self sufficient and have the NAS be user serviceable (mobo goes kablooey, buy another identical one). Upgrade CPU, ram, etc all on my own. Replacement/upgrade parts will be all in my control.

I saw some hardware threads in a bunch of different places. Recommendations on the best place to go to get ideas or should I just troll through the forum posts?

Thanks again,
    Cheers

• Oddly enough, I couldn't find those answers easily with searching so I thought I'd ask around here.

OMV is based on standard debian wheezy. So you can do everything you can do with wheezy. Depending on if you have a RAID controller or not, mdadm is the thing you can search for your RAID questions.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!