Kernel 4.x wanted, running OMV 1.19

• Hm, this is strange, the source shouldn't be altered at all if you dont run ./autogen.sh manually. Did you try to do this as root? If not, could you try it as root, and as root in /root/ to see if this a permission issue?

If not, and if you used my previous kernel packages, please build a new kernel first with the new scripts....the old ones were not that great...because of this whole libc idiot move I did...

Edit:
    Jup, just checked, this is libc relates...the log states it already...please drop my old kernel and build a new 4.1.15 with the script (btrfs will be fine without the tools until you build and add them)

• Hm, this is strange, the source shouldn't be altered at all if you dont run ./autogen.sh manually. Did you try to do this as root? If not, could you try it as root, and as root in /root/ to see if this a permission issue?

If not, and if you used my previous kernel packages, please build a new kernel first with the new scripts....the old ones were not that great...because of this whole libc idiot move I did...

Yes, always doing it as root, and not using ./autogen.sh.
    Tried to compile a kernel with your script instructions in /root using step-by-step and get error in 'make menuconfig':

My business server: OMV 4.1.22 | intel J2900 + 4GB DDR3 | 64GB SSD OS Disk | 2x1TB WD raid data disks
    Home Server: OMV 4.1.22 (4.19bpo
    ) | MSI B150M PRO VDH | i5-6600T 35W | 16GG RAM DDR4 2133 | 60GB SSD OS disk | 120GG SSD Games (Minecraft+Ark)| 1x4TB+2x2TB WD NAS RED HDDs
    ---------------- File server, FTP, Printing server, Plex, Logitech Media Server, VDR, Minecraft Server, Ark Survival Server, jDownloader
    Home automation server: OMV 4.1.22 (kernel 4.19 bpo) | Intel J4205 | 128GB SSD OS | 250GB HDD DATA | USB-RS485 | mbusd MODBUS TCP<->RTU GATEWAY | HMI SCADA myscadaHome

• Ok, please go back to stock kernel, reboot and then try to buid the 4.1.15. This is most likely the broken libc in my old packages. Sorry Mate :)

Just missing kernel options in OMV webgui to choose kernel and then I installed backports kernel....for my surprise the backports kernel it's updated to 4.3.0....
    Will run with this one to try how it goes.....

My business server: OMV 4.1.22 | intel J2900 + 4GB DDR3 | 64GB SSD OS Disk | 2x1TB WD raid data disks
    ) | MSI B150M PRO VDH | i5-6600T 35W | 16GG RAM DDR4 2133 | 60GB SSD OS disk | 120GG SSD Games (Minecraft+Ark)| 1x4TB+2x2TB WD NAS RED HDDs
    ---------------- File server, FTP, Printing server, Plex, Logitech Media Server, VDR, Minecraft Server, Ark Survival Server, jDownloader
    Home automation server: OMV 4.1.22 (kernel 4.19 bpo) | Intel J4205 | 128GB SSD OS | 250GB HDD DATA | USB-RS485 | mbusd MODBUS TCP<->RTU GATEWAY | HMI SCADA myscadaHome

• You're on jessi...thats the standard backport kernel right now. Compiling should work nonetheless, with the stock kernel in place. So for the beta-users I guess and until I moved to 4.4, there is no need to do this. Please report back if something goes wrong or the compilation went fine (might take up to 45min...my i3 rig is faster on the SSD, but still needs a coffee and a cigarette :D ).

• Running fine on 4.3 backports. Just VDR not running, getting 'main:3107: FATAL: UNKNOWN VDR VERSION' as I wrote in the forum plugin section.
    By the other side I cannot compile, as before I got errors.

• This is rather strange...could someone not on the latest 3.beta try out the scripts?? I'll to setup a vm if nobody can help out, but this will have to wait till next week...

Edit: I just ran the scripts in a fresh vm, OMV 2.x series, no fiddels other than omv-extras and the backports kernel. Building and installing the kernel and the btrfs-tools went fine, without any failures. I guess I therefore call the scripts final and for general public use.

• The problem with his script is that he modifies the sources.list. This is never a good idea, and might lead to very bad things...But hey, they work good, so we now have 2 working ways to easily get a working recent kernel to the old but great wheezy and OMV 2.X. :)

Anyone interessted in bcache-tools? I can provide a script for those too if someone needs it (might experiment with it, hence the idea...)

And btw, just updated the repo and added a btrfs-tools script for version 4.4. Config for kernel 4.4 is on the way, and I'll try to optimize it as much as I can while not throwing out too much drivers and stuff to be compatible with most (and old) hardware and also embedded stuff.

• I used this steps (no changing sources) and I can confirm it's possible to compile kernel 4.4 on a OMV 2.1 fresh install.
    Greetings.

EDIT: seems my dvb device isn't recognized with compiled 4.4 but is recognized with 4.1.7 provided by user stone49th. I'm trying to compile with 4.1.7 config, also used menuconfig to make sure dvb drivers are enabled in kernel...
    EDIT2: successfully compiled kernel 4.4 using 4.1.7 config. DVB device T230 working again in Stoneburner 2.1.24. Actually my first 'semi-custom' kernel....A lot of thanks to @stone49th and @Terminator

10 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hammondb4 ()

• I've updated the build scripts and the config to 4.4.1 and updated the kernel on my machine. So far no issues or stuff in the dmesg, other than a Device Tree Error for CPU0 which is perfectly normal...since I enabled device tree support for embedded systems (though some drivers might be missing, but thats why I enabled the menuconfig during the kernel build, so you guys can select/upgrade the config with your special SoC driver suites).

Also updated the github-repo with a new build script and a new config (.config_4.4.1). Make sure to install btrfs-tools_4.4 after you installed the new kernel (compile against 4.4 kernel headers, not before kernel is running) if you're using btrfs. I'll try to stay up date with 4.4 series for now, kernel 4.1.X support is therefore deprecated :)

• @stone49th
    I successfully installed the 4.4.1 kernel and btrfs tools using your scripts, thank you for this!

A couple of questions:

• I compiled the kernel on separate, fresh OMV 2.1 VM install. After that, I installed the kernel & headers and made it default. Then after rebooting to this kernel, I compiled the btrfs tools (so it compiles against the 4.4.1 headers). This was also succesfull. Then I copied the kernel/header/btrfs .deb packages to my fresh "production" OMV install. I do this, so i don't have the 700mb of compile data and extra packages needed for compiling on this production machine (VM). When installing the kernel, there is a message telling me something about a "missing symlink to source files; do i want to remove the symlink".
      Is it safe to let it remove it and ignore the message?
    • When installing the btrfs tools on this production VM, there is a dependency issue: a missing package. I forgot what it was exactly, but it resolved itself after "apt-get install -f".

Both of these issue didn't happen on the VM that I used to build these packages.
    Do you have any thoughts on this?

• yes, the symlink removal is safe...this leads only to non-existing sources for the debs, but thats not an issue. The headers are important to compile dkms modules and other stuff on demand, but as long as they install correctly you should be good to go.

the btrfs-tools might need some dependencies, but as long as a standard install command resolved the issue, it should be fine. Do you remember which package was missing?? Might be that the build dependencies I install automatically when the scripts run install a run-time dependency of btrfs-tools.

Good to hear that the scripts are helpful to somebody :)

• I can confirm that the build dependencies install a run-time dependency of btrfs-tools, because on the VM I used for compiling, there was no dependency issue when installing the btrfs tools.

I plan to do a new VM install (I messed up "tweaking" monit config files) so I'll be able to tell you later (today, i hope) what package was missing.

EDIT:
    The missing package is liblzo2-2

• I can confirm that the build dependencies install a run-time dependency of btrfs-tools, because on the VM I used for compiling, there was no dependency issue when installing the btrfs tools.

I plan to do a new VM install (I messed up "tweaking" monit config files) so I'll be able to tell you later (today, i hope) what package was missing.

EDIT:
    The missing package is liblzo2-2

Nice, thanks for the debugging :)

I've updated the build script for the 4.4-series. Removed the stupid hard-coded version number - you can now simply specify the last digit of the version when asked for by the script. 4.4.2 is out, and 4.4 is more or less in the lts state...script shouldn't need much change/attention in the future.

Looking forward to OMV3.X and repeating the work once again for the next 4.X / 5.X LTS-Kernels to come :)

• Hi all...

I'm about to clone and start kernel hacking as described on this thread for experimenting with btrfs raid6

I have one question.

My running system has docker that uses the 3.2 backports kernel that I automatically installed via omv-extras.
    Can I upgrade while I'm on that kernel or do I need to go back to stock?
    Is there any chance while upgradeing the kernel to break anything on the rest of the system (docker, omv-extras, plugins, etc)????

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!