Plex doesn't see folders on new drives

• I started this thread because I was having an issue where Plex wasn't showing the folders on xfs formatted drives which I never resolved. During the last week I've replaced two drives in my system, one after a having it RMA'd and the second being a 4tb WD Red to replace an ancient 1tb Green. I put both drives in the system, formatted them to ext4, mounted them and then shared both at the / level just like all the other drives in my system. My Windows computer sees the drives perfectly, I can create directories and move files to and from both drives using Windows as well as Rsync which i used to move my TV shows to the new 4tb Red.

When I went into plex to add the location to my library, I ran into the same issue as before when I go to select the folder with my media, Plex just shows nothing when I select either of these last drives unlike the others which show the files/folders within.

I'm leaning towards a permissions issue but I have no idea how to go about trying to resolve that as I haven't had this issue on the other drives and I didn't set any special permissions on them.

• I found it hard to believe as well, but the two drives I had formatted with xfs showed no folders when selected when I tried to add them to my library. I changed one to ext4 and dropped a test folder on it and it showed up no problem. Permissions and shares were set up identically as well.

The issue with drives not spinning down were not related to plex as they didn't hold media files, they were just normal data shares that plex didn't even know about and they wouldn't spin down so I was running xfs and ntfs on my drives until I figured out what was the problem.

• The HGST drive appears to spin down but again, that is transferred from my Windows system and still is formatted with NTFS although I don't know enough about Linux and it's different file systems to know if this is a real issue. I assume it is spun down as it's temperature drops and it takes a few moments to spin up when accessed.

• Alright, I'm transferring my tv shows off the drive and will format it with ext4 and see if that works. On a side note, the 1tb Seagate drive was the other drive I had formatted to xfs and then went back to ext4 and now as a fully empty drive that has been shared like all my others and set up to spin down after 10 minutes, it is still going full speed at a temp of 37 C after 30 minutes, not spinning down which was the reason I went to xfs in the first place. Got to admit though, this is certainly a learning experience albeit a frustrating one at times.

• Were you able to test if your plex saw anything on a xfs formatted drive? I switched to ext4 and put my files on it and now plex could see it although I might still have an issue with the ext4 drives not spinning down. Does the system do something with a freshly formatted ext4 drive that would cause it to keep running even if it wasn't being accessed or had data on it?

I also followed the suggestions in that thread you linked but haven't been able to check if it made a difference.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!