synchronize the external drive connected to the router's USB port to the NAS

• Dear friends:
    I have passed the test phase with an old Pentium IV and I built a NAS with the following new material:
    - Case - Micro-ATX Zalman T4
    - SO Disk (OMV) SSD - Corsair Force LS SSD 2.5" Sata III 60GB
    - RAM (16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz) - Kingston DDR3 HyperX Fury Black 2x8GB 1600MHz Cas10
    - Motherboard - Asrock QC5000-ITX/WiFi - http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Q…XWiFi/?cat=Specifications
    - Disk 1 - WD 2TB (no raid - ext4)
    - Disk 2 - WD 2TB (no radi - ext4)

My Router is a Netgear R7000 (http://www.netgear.com/home/pr…g/wifi-routers/R7000.aspx)

I have the features I need (which are few):
    - The discs are not in RAID, since I have a second backup of the same
    - I use the FTP / TLS
    - I am using SMB/CIFS for the windows shares (and others OS)

The discs are ext4
    the router's IP is 192.168.1.1 and has password for access
    The NAS IP is 192.168.1.10 (fixed IP in the router)

I want to synchronize the drive (eg Disc 1) with the secondary backup device that I have, which is an external drive connected to the router USB3 port.

I have used the FreeFileSync to do such work, but I wanted to use rsync (OMV plugin) but've tried and I can not.

Using the syntax of the first picture it gives me the following error

Where am I going wrong?

• "...is there an rsync daemon running at the router?" - No!

The problem in today's world is that the intelligent are full of doubt and some idiots are full of certainties. The intelligent are called undecided the idiots are called experts

• No. The router have the original firmware, because dd-wrt don´t work fine with ac wifi

The problem in today's world is that the intelligent are full of doubt and some idiots are full of certainties. The intelligent are called undecided the idiots are called experts

• subzero

I tested some plugins and it works fine in my network (LAN and internet). I share the external disk attached to my router USB3 port and works fine to.
    If I use the FreFileSync, I can sync my external disk and the NAS.
    Conclusion: It seems to the problem isn´t with "the firmaware" (free or not). The problem probably is or the sintax or the plugin rsync.
    I often do not "give up" but I'll probably forget the rsync and I will use the FreeFileSync
    Best regards my friend and thanks for your availability.
    Thank you
    José Crispim

PS.: "...is mount the drive storage in omv with..." - That drive is for backup and I think it is more correct separate it to the NAS. (drive is NTFS, not linux and not samba)

7 Mal editiert, zuletzt von jjrcrispim ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know how to explain this to you. Freefilesync is software different from rsync.

rsync is considered a protocol in standard nix environments. It consists of a server and a client. Omv has a configuration for both. Your router DOES NOT HAVE an rsync server runing there

Can you specify how does you ftee file sync connects to your router?

• I no FreeFilesync isn´t the some thing. I told him just to exemplify how I currently do.
    Sorry subzero but my English is very rudimentary. I did not understand the context of your question "Can you specify how does you ftee file sync connects to your router?"
    Eluclicidates me please?
    Thanks again for your patience and persistence
    Thank you

PS: " Your router DOES NOT HAVE an rsync server runing there" - As I said, my router has the firmware from Netgear. Obviously I do not have an rsync server on the Router

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von jjrcrispim ()

• I'm in Portugal (near Lisbon in Barreiro). No problem I prefer speak english than spanish.
    But your question let me complety "lost".
    1 - I opened the 873 port in my router;
    2 - I put "on" rsynserver in OMV;
    3 - I setup a job (see the image);
    4 - And give an error as I said (see the image)
    I thought the "server" rsync is installed on OMV through the respective plugin.
    In addition to opening the router port, I need to do more what? (I start to think I lack something)
    Thank you

• Yes you are correct. And the ip of the NAS is fix (assigned by the router dhcp).
    And I want some folders of the NAS to backup folders of the external disk. (external disk to NAS)
    As I said, external disk is attachedo to the USB3 port of the router.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Of course....there is not an rsync server running there.

we are discussing around the same issues, you cannot use rsync in that router.

Again in I mention disk again, install the remote share plugin, share the disk in the router in samba, and mount it on omv. Then you should be able to use rsync internally in omv.

or instead plug the external usb drive in omv and use with the USB backup plugin.

• There is another cool alternative that would be automated. You setup MySQL and Greyhole on OMV. You can add SAMBA shares from other machines on your LAN to the Greyhole pool. Then say you have a SAMBA shared folder on your OMV that you want to backup to the USB drive on the router. You can have the 2nd copy of any shares you want backed up go to the router usb disk's samba share that is in the pool. It is a pretty cool thing but takes some time to get setup and figure it all out. If you lose your database with Greyhole it is not a disaster. You can set things up again and it will recreate the database. I really like Greyhole. It is underused because it takes more effort.

https://www.pommepause.com/201…reyhole-how-cool-is-that/

• Thank you subzero and tekkb
    For now, I'll leave it at that. The system is working well, it's fast and fulfill my goals.
    I will test the suggestion of tekkb in the virtual machine.
    Best regards

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!