Some config questions (network / hfs+)

• Hi,

I have just installed openmediavault and experienced some issues.
    1. I have an Intel network card, set up with port trunking. Which is the best method to choose here? It seems that omv uses the onboard lan before the trunk. How can I change that?
    2. The network speed is terrible. I use a MacBook via wifi and the speed is not even 10MB/s. What can I do to improve the speed?
    3. I got an external Western Digital drive with hfs+. Omv recognizes it but I only can set up a share with a new folder in its free space. How can I access the already existing data?
    4. With is the best solution for the network settings for a vm? Now I got bridged with the onboard lan? I want to access it via vnc. Is there a better solution?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Oliver

• 1. You should be able to reconfigure which card is enabled and how they're used in the Network section under Interfaces.
    2. I would make sure that the speed is not related to your WiFi and it really depends on your hardware. Crappy hard drives will be crappy, etc.
    3. Linux does not support HFS+ by default. You'll need to do some pretty exciting hackery to get it working http://askubuntu.com/questions…untu-without-access-to-os. I don't know if it'll work with OMV's GUI though.
    4. Are you running OMV in a VM? A VM in OMV? I tend to run VMs bridged so they appear as machines on the LAN rather than having to deal with individual port forwarding on the host.

• Attached the config of my trunk. The onboard lan ist configured with dhcp. I can access omv via both interfaces, but the data simply only goes through the onboard. I can not find an option where I can give priority to the ports / Interfaces. Is there such a thing?
    • since my internet offers even much more up and download via wifi and lan this can not be the bootleneck in my opinion
    • Ill skip that and simply copy the data to omv via a mac. :)
    • The VM on OMV. But when it is bridged the port is gone for omv, right?
  • 1) It looks like you bonded the two interfaces together, which means you're using both. I can't remember what the "broadcast" bonding mode is but you're essentially trying to make the two interfaces work like one interface that's load balance or fault tolerant. That doesn't sound like what you're describing? (http://www.linuxhorizon.ro/bonding.html). You should be careful with some bonding modes as certain switches might not treat them very well. In your mode, both eth0 and eth1 have the same MAC Address. The idea is that the switch will send traffic to both NICs whenever someone tries to send to that machine. Your switch might not support doing that and is instead doing something else weird.

2) Just because your provider claims to offer a particular upstream/downstream capacity, doesn't mean the WiFi isn't crap. That depends a lot on the specific radio used an the conditions of where it is. Also, be careful as most operating systems report transfer rates in MBps where a capital "B" means bytes while most vendors, including internet providers, routers, disks, etc. use Mbps, with a lowercase "b" for bits. There are 8 bits in a byte, so expect the number your OS gives you for an actual transfer to be 8 times smaller than the bandwidth of the connection, at least. WiFi especially is prone to interference, so your rates are going to vary a lot with what's going on in the air.

3) Probably a good idea ;-).

4) When you bridge it, it will look to OMV like any other machine on the network and OMV will need to use it's LAN IP to access it. However, you can do both. You can create a "Host Only" network that's available between OMV and the VM and then another interface that's bridged with the host's that places the machine on the LAN. It depends on what you're trying to do.

• 1. I just set up the network config from the bottom. Without the onboard lan port trunking works. (By the way I am not at newby in it so I know some basics as well as my routers capabilities :-))
    I still want to add the onboard lan to OMV as a backup for the bond but with Omv forcing to use the bond if available. The onboard lan I also want to use for the vm. Is this possible and if how?
    2. The r7000 with dd-wrt really should not be the bottleneck, should it? I am also aware of Bytes and bits even though I confused if know :)

Thank you already for your help :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The network speed is terrible. I use a MacBook via wifi and the speed is not even 10MB/s. What can I do to improve the speed?

That's a very good speed for WLAN in 2.4Ghz 802.11n, you can get 22-24MB/s if you use 5Ghz in the immediate surroundings of the router. 802.11AC is another story, in 5Ghz you should probably reach 40-50MBs maybe more with a good AC card like the recent macbooks have

got an external Western Digital drive with hfs+. Omv recognizes it but I only can set up a share with a new folder in its free space. How can I access the already existing data?

When you select the volume you have to click just under the volume selection to the right a button, it will display the contents of the volume like a folder explorer.

• Thx for the hint. Finally I was able to read hfs+.
    So 22-24 is what I am aiming for. Any tips how I can improve the speed further?
    I got two new questions.
    1. I installed the pyload add on. Somehow j can not start downloads. I got the packages under the waitlist but when I want to start the downloads it simply won't work. How she'll I proceed?
    2. I also installed the backup add on. Do I need a screen to perform the backup with any of its options?

• I have to check the channel width. I will do that.
    Yes a monitor. The issue is that I haven't got any attached to my omv. So I would prefer to backup via ssh access if possible.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!