Raid 5 says one drive was removed

• Hi. Newbie here.

i have a Raid 5 setup on my OMV NAS, version 1.12 (kralizec), but after moving half way around the world and not accessing the NAS for about 3 months, the RAID 5 says "clean, degraded" and detail says that one of the five disks (/dev/sdf) has been "removed", however it's still in the machine and it IS recognized under S.M.A.R.T. with temperature measurements.

I tried swapping that "removed" disk with another one in the hot bay (switched /dev/sdf with /dev/sdc), and the RAID then recognizes those drives as the opposite of what they were initially, but it still says the /dev/sdf drive has been "removed" I.e., now the drive that was c is now f, and it says it has been removed.

When I click "recover" under the RAID management tab, I do not have a device appear there to choose a recovery.

Anyone know how to best restore the RAID for someone who is VERY illiterate with code?

A separate problem: I forgot my CLI login name and password. Any tips on how to recover it without doing a total reinstall?

• Concerning your last question - this might be some help: http://wiki.openmediavault.org…nge_admin_password_in_CLI

Your RAID problem: I once had several problems too with my RAID (a RAID1) which kept me busy for several months and I couldn't solve. The final solution was to swap the missing HDD (getting a new one from WD). Odly enough the new one was broken too so I almost lost faith in my skills. After swapping that drive again everything is fine now (though I don't use a RAID anymore but rsync my stuff).

Have a look here: Can WD Red 4TB HDD's be used for a self built Server/NAS or only for "real" NAS (QNAP etc.)?

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

Western Digital WD Blue SN570

Seagate IronWolf 8TB/WD Red 8TB

AeroCool CS-102

• Thank you very much for the reply! Would it be advisable to simply wipe the drive that RAID says has been removed, (doing so under devices in the WEB GUI) and then use recover in the RAId tab to re insert it into the RAID?

That drive still has data on it and I do not want to risk totally screwing something up. At the same time, I'd prefer not to spend $$ on a brand new drive when I suspect that there is nothing wrong with that drive--since I was able to switch it with another drive and it integrated just fine with the existing RAID.

Thanks again!

• I'm very sorry if I can't help you here - I never tried RAID5.
    And I just wanted to point out that - in my case - it was a bad drive even though it was brand new (I bought it just for my NAS) and I couldn't believe it in the beginning. After changing it for a new one (Western Digital sent me a one because of the garantuee I still had) my OMV now keeps running without problems.
    Well, and I don't use no RAID any more, I sync my files on the second HDD every night.

I remember going crazy because I really couldn't believe it was the drive. I installed a Lubuntu on the machine (a third drive) and played around with those two HDDs (creating a new RAID1 etc.) and it kept falling apart - sleepless nights... :evil:

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

Western Digital WD Blue SN570

Seagate IronWolf 8TB/WD Red 8TB

AeroCool CS-102

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!