Docker GUI plugin now stable

• One more question about docker and DVB,

to mount my dvb card i have to insert the path of my card: --device=/dev/dvb/

Is the device by default mounted by root? I have entrr this path and start tvh in privilehed mode but i can't see my dvb card

• @indigo how the card was mounted locally is what really matters. I don't know how you set it up in your system or what the default is. I believe something like this needed to be done for something I was testing out with a home automation platform at one point. It required insuring that the container UID/GID running were part of the dialout group I believe to be able to get access to the device. This may have been specifically due to the nature of the dongle being attached to the host. It may be similar though. I'd suggest asking around in the forums for support of your specific card. They may have more detail there on what permissions are needed where, or alterations to the mounting that will ensure other apps can access it.

I will say the hardest thing about Docker, is troubleshooting permissions. Outside of this though, it's a breeze. And when you finally get it figured out (permissions), it becomes a lot easier overall to solve them in the future.

• don't know if this make an difference, but i have an pci dvbs from dd - cine s2. I can see it under /dev/dvb/. So on OMV side is nothing changed from me.

One installation before i had TVH nativley on OMV and it works well with my card. Did i'm understand correct? i have to set the docker user in the dialout group?

• It may not be that straightforward. There are multiple layers here - user running the container in OMV, user running inside the container, and the core users/groups on the system. At a base level, you may want to do an <tt>ls -la</tt> on the /dev/dvb directory to understand what permissions are set on it. This will give you an idea if the dialout group will help. Then you need to understand what the user inside the container is running as. The use inside the container needs to have permissions that match to the local permissions to gain access to the device. By default, I don't think it will have access unless it's running as root. Even in some instances, that may not map through properly and shouldn't for security reasons.

• @ryecoaaron @subzero79 I've pushed version 3.1.10 of the plugin now to the erasmus-ce-docker repo on Bintray. I was able to install the plugin properly after activating the "Docker CE" repo in omvextras just as intended. No new version of the plugin should be pushed to the erasmus-docker/erasmus-docker2 repos on Bintray, but rather to the new erasmus-ce-docker repo.

• Thanks a bunch to the team - I assume I managed to setup the Docker CE repo successfully and installed 3.1.0. For now running Plex and Plexpy smoothly and - as cream on top - Portainer seems to work also for convenient container administration.

This really starts to make fun :)

HP Microserver Gen8 - 16GB RAM - 1x Dogfish 64GB SSD - 4x 3TB WD Red / ZFS raid1 - OMV 7.x bare metal - Docker - Synology DS214 with 2x 4TB WD Red for rsync backup

• So I'll be updating this weekend (do bi-weekly updates on sundays for systems), and I will check out all the enhancements worked on for this new version. Also report back on the transition with the .9 vs .10 versions and the CE repo functionality.

Something I wanted to bring up though in some testing I was doing today with the elasticsearch, logstash, and kibana containers. I'm finding it more likely I'm going to want to be setting up containers to be attached to different networks than the stock Bridge network (docker0). Currently, it seems I can't select an alternate network. With the changes being made for support of MACvlan, I'm thinking perhaps this support should be extended for all 4 types from the dropdown. Specifically, I created a secondary Bridge network called bridge2. When you create new networks, container name resolution will work, but not in the default bridge. For this reason I think it's becoming more necessary to enable the same secondary config section like for MACvlan to help allow choosing of other bridge type networks, and likely for other use cases the None option. Host won't ever have a choice.

At the moment, I've gotten around this by choosing the bridge network, setting everything as usual, and then down bottom using the --net=bridge2 option in the extra args. The problem here, is anytime I try to modify or alter the current container, it interestingly shows Bridge2 in the network options (not in the dropdown, but at the time it populates the field with it). The problem is, if I leave everything as is or try removing the --net option, it will wipe out my network port mappings and/or will reset to the original Bridge network. So if I'm careful I can get it right, but it's not perfect. If it helps I can try to do some screenshots to help, or short screen cap clips.

Lastly, more of a long shot nice to have in the future (certainly not a need right now) - if there could be an option to allow attaching multiple networks. This isn't possible with the core docker setup or in a single run command. Since this plugin is running some scripts to perform the actions though, I figure it could be made to run the "run" command to create the container first, sleep (very short just to let the container create), then run a docker network connect command to add additional networks to a container. Like I said, not needed/required ATM, not possible in normal docker run, but would be a cool benefit to how we're allowing it to be used here.

PS - thanks for all the work @subzero79 @ryecoaaron and @nicjo814 - loving this capability easily managed inside OMV! :thumbup:

• Hello guys,

today I installed omv-docker-gui 3.1.9. Everything seems to be as expected:

I can see the buttons:

I can see the docker service status at the omv dashoard:

Feature Request:

Is it possible the you bring the following container overview to the omv dashboard?

I think it's enough to see the following informations:

- NAMES
    - STATE
    - UPTIME (STATUS)

Not a priority thing, more a nice-to-have feature. ;)

What is the correct upgrade way to 3.1.10? Anything special to mention?

Thanks for this really flawless working plugin!

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Ok, so the update to the .9 version is complete. Everything looks good. Confirming the following:

• Plex issue with parsing of the URL in the container default Env Var is not getting chopped off (woohoo!!)
    • Icons are now visible like normal icons :)
    • Dashboard service monitor is functioning
    • Nice search option in the top!

Now the one thing I'm left wondering about ... how does one get upgraded to .10 now? I tried manually updating repos, and checking for updates, but the .10 option is available. Do I need to manually do something to handle this? I know in my OMV Extras section I do have the Docker repo enabled, do I need to disable this now that I'm on .9? I thought the discussions mentioned that there would be an automatic transition to the new binary from the new repo?

• how does one get upgraded to .10 now?

Sorry, I have not explained this yet :) The 3.1.10 version depends on a yet unreleased version of the omvextras plugin. You will know that you have the proper version of omvextras when there is a "Docker CE" repo available.

To upgrade the docker plugin:
    * Enable the Docker CE repo in omvextras
    * Search for updates in the "Update Manager"
    * Install the docker plugin in the "Update manager"

I don't know when the version of omvextras with the Docker CE repo will be released though.

• Aha! Ok, no worries. I thought it was something inherent to the plugin that would actually do it for us automatically. That's why I thought perhaps I was missing something as I didn't see it. Good to know. I can wait for that at this point. No major updates that I should need from there. Thanks for the hard work, and for taking the time to explain the update process when it comes along! :thumbup:

• Has anyone played with the minio docker container (minio/mino)?
    It's an S3 compatible object storage container that I've been using as a crashplan replacement for local backups, which I've previously run from a binary, but thought I would give the docker image a go as I've now migrated all other plugins over to docker containers, but I can't get it started, it just continually restarts every 5 secs.

The linuxserver docker images have some very good documentation on getting them up and running and the variables and paths required, but this doesn't.
    Tabbing out the container path also only reveals a /export container path.

The minio documentation suggests it should just run and create an empty container path if required, but it doesn't.
    I've tried passing in PUID, GUID, MINIO_ACCESS_KEY, MINIO_SECRET_KEY and set the /export container path to the directory of the minio storage folder. Even manually set /config even though it's not mentioned.

Might have to move back to running the binary locally :(

*EDIT*
    Seems to be a GUI issue as if I run the docker image from the command line it works without problem and creates the config. I can then login to the app and verify the storage. If I close the image from the command line and start the image from the GUI (from the config that the command line has just created), it just continually restarts. Identical settings to the command line, just isn't usable.

• Sorry, I have not explained this yet :) The 3.1.10 version depends on a yet unreleased version of the omvextras plugin. You will know that you have the proper version of omvextras when there is a "Docker CE" repo available.

Will one be able to use the "copy" feature from the old Docker plugin to transfer all containers to the new plugin? Or should they be recreated from scratch?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will one be able to use the "copy" feature from the old Docker plugin to transfer all containers to the new plugin? Or should they be recreated from scratch?

This is misunderstanding here, the plugin is a frontend. Going up or down in version will not change anything in the existing containers. BTW the copy button is just to run a new container, with similar settings than a current one

• Hello,

i have a question about Docker.

I installed Emby and for tests I use the Networkmode Host and I can access Emby on Port 8096 with the ip from my OMV Machine.
    So i wanne try Bridge and I add (see Attachment).

So I can access Enby myipfrommyomv:22222 this works also
    But in Emby I added my tvheadend Server but in Bridge Mode Emby can't access the TVHeadend Server (TVH has a the Local IP from my OMV Machine, ist not installed in a Docker).
    Is there a way to grand emby access to tvheandend or should I install tvheand also in a docker?

One other question in Bridgemode all Containers has an "internal Docker ip"? How can I give 2 Docker Containers access to each other?

• Hello guys,

at the moment I use the docker plugin 3.1.9 and tried to upgrade to 3.1.10 in the way you described it.

1. I enabled the Docker CE repo.
    2. I can see the follwoing 3 packages under update management.

3. I pushed the button "Upgrade" and got the following error:

At the command line it looks the following way:

Code
    root@omv:/# apt-get upgrade
    Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
    Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
    Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
    Paketaktualisierung (Upgrade) wird berechnet... Fertig
    Die folgenden Pakete sind zurückgehalten worden:
      openmediavault-docker-gui
    0 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 1 nicht aktualisiert.

Where is the problem? Anyone else experiencing this issue? Do I have to deactivate the old "Docker repo"?

The rest of my omv3 is up to date.

Thanks and greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hello!

I can't install the Docker plugin, using Docker CE repo. I made a fresh install a few months ago to update to 3.0. Haven't had any problems with other plugins, but when it works for others it must mean there is some problem with my install.

When installing I get this error:

When I reload the page I get this error:

• @hoppel118 Try and update only the actual plug-in.

It should select the correct docker package automatically.

Hello @nicjo814,

thanks for this hint. This solved my issue and the ugrade progress worked as expected. At the moment everthing looks fine!

Greetings Hoppel

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!