Encryption support plans?

• I dunno, and am not on Microsoft payload.

But many people do around here.

OMV is Debian GNU/Linux powered if I remember well.

Yeah sure it is, just keep in mind that we have Linux, Mac and Windows Clients around. So while this setting may be setup with board tools on linux, also have a solution ready for the other OS, otherwise it will not target the broader audience.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Non-tech people are making that little effort to go beyond « whatever OS » was pre-installed on their machines; these guys and lads are more concerned by the security and privacy their data get. For there are good reasons why OMV developers, or E. Snowden trust Open Source well over the closed ones.
    Shouldn't they be encouraged to pursue on this side of the Force, or put aside to give the lazier priority (and encourage them to change nothing)? Unless and to quote a signature ;) this forum has become support for a certain Redmond company more than for OMV.

As noted above and overlooked by @davidh2k EncFS works on Linux, Mac, Windows, and Android. That's a strong (though not perfect) security feature available for Windows and Android's Dropbox users but not to OMV's, jeee'!

• Shouldn't they be encouraged to pursue on this side of the Force, or put aside to give the lazier priority (and encourage them to change nothing)?

I'm on that dark side too, fyi.

As noted above and overlooked by davidh2k EncFS works on Linux, Mac, Windows, and Android. That's a strong (though not perfect) security feature available for Windows and Android's Dropbox users but not to OMV's, jeee'!

I may haven't looked at it earlier, but I certainly noticed it. Now that I read up on it, I saw that it's closed and may even require a paid license.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• So a summary of this thread:

User A - can we have file encryption please?
    OMV - Na, it's too complicated to decrypt
    user B - two open source tool Encfs or Ecryptfs that just work on Debian/OMV
    OMV - Can you elaborate?
    user B - elaborated
    OMV - Na, we care for closed source OSes only
    User B - here's some toolsfor Android, Mac and Windows that use Encfs
    OMV - Na, one is closed and may even require a fee.

Friends, please help not dropping on this case.

• I didn't say we care for closed source only. It's just not seems like a feasable solution - to me - and this is only me discussing the theory of implementing it.

One of our devs already implement a plugin for luks, maybe he can take a look at the scenario you're suggesting.

Greetings
    David

• I am sorry if I write in a bad forum section !
    I installed the veracrypt program ( on my Odroid HC1 ) and I can mount the disk HDD / SSH, but unfortunately the OMV GUI does not work ...
    Unfortunately, I have an entire disk encrypted in veracrypt .....I can not change it for now :(
    The disk is seen in the OMV GUI .. but this partition can not be used in basic services, eg Samba / FTP / ... etc
    is it possible to properly mount the veracrypt partition?

Code
    /dev/mapper/veracrypt1

regards!

sorry for my English ...

• From your whole statement basically you said "I don't care about the majority that use OMV and Windows (we like it or not it's the majority), I want encryption even if makes the OMV usable from few". Have you ever think others that just store data for streaming and have devices like RPI? Probably not...

Encryption in a NAS device should be transparent and compatible with everything in the computer ecosystem not just linux (and few tools).

• Other option:

I encrypt my data with encfs on the client side whileI leave my data unencrypted from OMV perspective

On my client I do have an encfs installation which mounts a directory from an OMV share into the filesystem of the client. The data is encrypted by encfs on the client side when written to the server share.

This works both with a linux client and a windows client. As a matter of fact, I use a Boxcryptor classic encfs port on windows to access the same encrypted data with my windows client like with my linux encfs mount.

(Boxcryptor classic is not available anymore. However, there are othe encfs ports to Windows which supposed to be compatible with linux encfs e.g. https://sourceforge.net/projects/encfsmp/).

There are several advantages of this approach:

- When there is a break in into the OMV server, OMV only sees encrypted data.
    - My clients have more CPU power, so encryption is faster
    - The encrypted data can be backupped into the cloud without further encryption.
    - Potential data revovery on server is working on presumably unencrypted data.

There are some disadvanteges under certain scenarios, e.g. some shortcomings of encfs versus a full blown filesystem.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!