[EN][T&T] Intel ss4200: 3.2 kernel\CPU governor\LEDs\more

• There are notes from my OMV installation (and yes, you can recompile p4-clockmod.ko, but patch is faster)
    0. In OMV 0.4 serial console works by default!
    1. update kernel

Code
    echo "deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -t squeeze-backports install linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 firmware-linux-free

2.patch p4_clockmod.ko (81 96 98 00 > 80 96 98 00) and install cpu governor (ask google for the magic number if you care)

Code
    sudo apt-get install cpufrequtils sysfsutils vim-common
    cp /lib/modules/3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64/kernel/drivers/cpufreq/p4-clockmod.ko /tmp
    xxd -p < /tmp/p4-clockmod.ko | sed 's/81969800/80969800/' | xxd -r -p > /tmp/p4-clockmod.ko.new
    sudo mv /tmp/p4-clockmod.ko.new /lib/modules/3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64/kernel/drivers/cpufreq/p4-clockmod.ko

echo p4_clockmod | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    echo cpufreq_ondemand | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

Use this, or enable System>Power Management>Setting>Monitoring in WebUI

Code
    echo "devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor = ondemand" | sudo tee -a /etc/sysfs.conf

Reboot or use modprobe

cpufreq-info should output smth like this:

Code
    current CPU frequency is 200 MHz.
      cpufreq stats: 200 MHz:31.49%, 400 MHz:0.00%, 600 MHz:0.00%, 800 MHz:0.00%, 1000 MHz:0.00%, 1.20 GHz:0.00%, 1.40 GHz:0.00%, 1.60 GHz:68.51%

3. install sensors

Code
    echo dme1737 | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

check them

Code
    ls /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/dme1737/0-002e/

You are welcome to add ss4200 specific tweaks here

Intel ss4200

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von nox86 ()

• Add mdad event handling script:

Code
    chmod u+x  /usr/sbin/mdadm-event-handler.sh
    echo "PROGRAM /usr/sbin/mdadm-event-handler.sh" | sudo tee -a/etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
    sed -i "s/\(DAEMON_OPTIONS *= *\).*/\1\"--syslog --program \/usr\/sbin\/mdadm-event-handler.sh\"/" /etc/default/mdadm
    /etc/init.d/mdadm restart

*remember about dme1737 kernel module
    or\and add cron job

Code
    sudo mdadm --monitor --scan -1 --program /usr/sbin/mdadm-event-handler.sh

/usr/sbin/mdadm-event-handler.sh

Test with:

Code
    sudo mdadm --monitor --scan -1 --test

Intel ss4200

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von nox86 ()

• Zitat von "hawaix"

Can I follow this guide to update the kernel of my system ? I do not have Intel ss4200

What kind of system do you have? p4-clockmod is not suitable for all systems as i remember. Most work with acpi-cpufreq (intel) or powernow-k<number> (AMD).

Something to think of:
    Why do you want to Upgrade, what is not working? Sure that the upgrade will fix your issue? Is it so urgent that you cant wait for the OMV release with wheezy?

• I just want to update the kernel I have a system with CPU i7 (Watch my signature) I am not happy with the performance and I want to try updating the kernel (maybe it's a driver problem), in my system everything works fine . If this guide is not good to update my system you know any guide? Thanks

• i think this part could do it (as root):

Code
    echo "deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get -t squeeze-backports install linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 firmware-linux-free

But dont ask me how to go back from there. I would not try it. Going back is not that easy ;) P4 Clockmod is nothing for your i7. acpi-cpufreq should be already installed and running.

where do you think your performance is not satisfying? perhaps we can figure out if it is possible that the performance will increase when upgrading the kernel ... (mostly it does not ...)

• Ok thanks ;) , I try first on my OMV for test

Zitat

where do you think your performance is not satisfying?

1) when the HD have a higher loading
    2) I have 2 network cards PCIe in Balance-tlb the data transfer is sometimes slow

I want to investigate better

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "knumsi"

But dont ask me how to go back from there. I would not try it. Going back is not that easy ;)

Installing the backports kernel does not uninstall the standard 2.6 kernel. You can still select it in the grub boot menu. Very safe to try and I use it on quite a few systems.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat

Installing the backports kernel does not uninstall the standard 2.6 kernel. You can still select it in the grub boot menu. Very safe to try and I use it on quite a few systems.

thanks for the explanation

• Solution: added pata_legacy module...:-)

--------------------

Hey!

I installed OMV on my SS4200 following: http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=188. Afterwards I followed this thread and upgraded to the 3.2 Kernel, but the device fails to start.

Code
    Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
    ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/... does not exists
    Dropping to a shell!

The workaround from the first mentioned thread doesn´t work anymore:

Code
    echo ata_piix >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
    echo ide_generic >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
    5.) After modifying the file you must update the system with the command:
    update-initramfs -u

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!