APC UPS Battery Hack - save money

• The UPS that I use it my trusty old APC RS 1000 that I got given a while back. Yeah, it's not the fanciest thing around, but it's compatible with Linux and does the trick.

Recently the batteries flagged as needing replacing so I searched online for the APC battery RBC32.

The best price for one of these, currently is about £53. For an old APC like this, the price isn't really worth it, however we do not need to buy APCs official battery. There is nothing special about this battery and as many probably know, they are simply lead batteries. We can save a lot of money by getting something else.

This is the battery as you would get it from APC:

Peel off those labels:

Hang on, that looks like 2 batteries back to back... Nothing special, just held together and linked with a bespoke harness.

Here is one removed:

And the other side:

So all it really is, is these:

I searched for these at first - and only got batteries that cost a lot:

This is no good, it'll cost more.

However, I did also come across these:

That's more like it. I can just fit these in the harness, put some duck tape either side to hold them securely and save a lot of money.

It may also be possible to source these from an electronics supplier or auto factor. I haven't looked yet, but even if I can't, £25.99 is better than £53 :)

Hopefully this will help others save some money. If in doubt, take the battery down with you. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!