403 Forbidden + Samba share unavailable

• I've had this issue pop up on multiple occasions (I've replicated similar results on my older backup/clone OS drive as well)...

There are two issues really:
    1) Can't access Samba share from Windows 7
    2) Can't access OMV web interface (403 Forbidden nginx error) - this was after attempting an update from OMV's Update Manager

Details:
    (1) happened when I physically moved the fully working server to another home network (I took the server to my home, planning to do backups and to replace the RAID drives). I presume it is Windows/network related since it was working in the previous network, though this perplexes me.
    This was when I tried OMV's Update Manager that I ran into more problems.
    (2) happened after doing a simple update on a few samba related packages (see screenshot). I've experience the same problem when attempting to update all the packages on my other cloned drive, so I'm pretty sure problems arise after updates. The list of updates is large, presumably because I avoided updating in the past for this reason. I can't avoid updates forever. Basically what happens is after pressing upgrade the screen would get stuck. Eventually after doing nothing for a long time, I would attempt to refresh browser, and then i get the nginx error.

Your help is much appreciated!! I had the bright idea of 'working' on the server before leaving the county for a few weeks.... ;(

• Offizieller Beitrag

You've made an upgrade to Jessie, you're probably carrying that install from 0.5.
    Problem is the value stable at sources.list should be wheezy.
    You can confirm that you went to Jessie with cat /etc/debian_version an outputs 8.1

unfortunatly there is no downgrade
    process, so you'll have to reinstall. don't forget to disconnect the data drives and leave the OS disk only

• Hi Subzero,

I have read other posts but I am actually still on wheezy version 7.8
    This system did used to be a Debian only system on Squeeze, before updating and overlaying OMV on top of it many years ago.

It would be really nice to not have to start from scratch. I've also managed to get both my clones to have this issue now (which was supposed to be my fallback solution)

Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time!

• After noticing I don't have omv-firstaid, I also seem to have the packages set for removal.

Any idea how simple updates via OMV interface can wreak havoc like this? The updates never seemed to finish, and could possibly have been stuck in a weird state or something causing some of this.

Running

Code
    # apt-get install --reinstall openmediavault

:

• Note, I also edited the earlier post with response for reinstall of openmediavault as well...

Below is /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code
    # Debian packages for stable
    deb http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca/debian/ stable main contrib
    # Uncomment the deb-src line if you want 'apt-get source'
    # to work with most packages.
    # deb-src http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca/debian/ stable main contrib

# Security updates for stable
    deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
  • Unfortunately I rushed into the solution before realizing that I didn't actually replace 'stable' value (didn't get what you meant the first time) :( So now I'm on Jessie, and I've become another victim that stickie was to try and avoid... Fools be parted with their time!

Any tips for saving as much of the settings before a reinstall to recover as much as seamlessly possible? I know I had a ton of services (owncloud, omv-extras, etc as examples). Not sure if there is a better way than backing up each config file individually...

Or better yet, would be awesome if there was something to at least have SAMBA share still running until I do go through the reinstall.

Thanks for all your help! Always respected the guys that stick around to help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Backup the /etc folder for future reference in configuring files. The omv config.xml is there.
    if you're a bash user take your aliases from .bashrc or profile. Take your custom scripts. Everything you think is useful for you. Maybe you want to back up the whole root system to another drive for reference..

dont forget to disconnect the data drives before installing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!