Manually configured DNS servers are not used

• I've manually configured 3 DNS servers in the web GUI. I set a static IP. However, if I check with nslookup, the DNS server is wrong (my default router DNS, configured for OpenDNS). I've read some similar posts about deleting the eth0 entry, but that did not work. Any tips?

Ralph

ASRock H97 Pro4 | 8Gb 1600 | i3 4130T | 3x WD Red 4TB with SnapRAID | Backup to Crashplan & External HDD

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von MrMister2015 ()

• Why are you doing this manually?
    It can be done easily from the Sytem/Network/Interfaces
    Then click on the interface you want and click edit.
    In the pop up scroll down to DNS servers and Search Domains.
    The DNS server should be ip of your router.
    The Search domains will be all the external DNS server ips you want to use. (we recommend normally google's 8.8.8.8)

The entry in the interface file for the search domains will show as:
    dns-search 8.8.8.8

Make your edits via the web gui for this and then test. Then if there is issue we try to sort it out or file bug report.

• With "manually configured ... in the web GUI" I meant I changed it by hand from Sytem/Network/Interfaces. So no DHCP.

I am not sure I understand your suggestions about DNS setting en Search Domains. From Sytem/Network/Interfaces, I changed:
    - IPv4 to Static
    - Address to 192.168.1.7 (local address outside DHCP range) with netmask 255.255.255.0
    - Gateway 192.168.1.1 (IP of router)
    - DNS servers to my preferred external DNS servers.
    - No additional search domains

OMV creates a correct /etc/network/interfaces, see above.

Your suggestion about using my router IP as DNS server is counter-intuitive. Router IP is normally the gateway.

But, I will test and report back...

Ralph

ASRock H97 Pro4 | 8Gb 1600 | i3 4130T | 3x WD Red 4TB with SnapRAID | Backup to Crashplan & External HDD

• I guess it is counter intuitive if you do not want to resolve names to ips on your LAN. I don't think external DNS servers are going to accomplish this for you.

• I've changed as per your suggestions. No change.

• I've found the solution. Problem is that there is no /etc/resolv.conf. This is accomplished by executing

Code
    dpkg-reconfigure --frontend=noninteractive resolvconf

as indicated in [RESOLVE] DNS out

I think this configuration should be part of the OVM installation script. My initial configuration was fine.

Ralph

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!