[SOLVED] Web GUI Communication Failure After Successful Login

• When I try to log into the WebGUI using the admin account and the correct password, it just sits there for a while and finally comes back with "communication failure". The details also only says "communication failure."

I've tried omv-firstaid and that has not helped.

I've tried omv-engined -df and this is my result when I try the web login:

Code
    omv-engined[11650]: Child process forked (pid=11650)
    omv-engined[11650]: Executing RPC (service=UserMgmt, method=authUser, params={"username":"admin","password":"***********"}, context={"username":"admin","role":1,"_SERVER":{"SERVER_PROTOCOL":"HTTP\/1.1","GATEWAY_INTERFACE":"CGI\/1.1","SERVER_SOFTWARE":"nginx\/1.2.1","REMOTE_ADDR":"::ffff:10.10.10.50","REMOTE_PORT":"54987","SERVER_ADDR":"::ffff:10.10.10.75","SERVER_PORT":"80","SERVER_NAME":"openmediavault-webgui","HTTPS":"","REDIRECT_STATUS":"200","HTTP_HOST":"nas1","HTTP_ORIGIN":"http:\/\/nas1","HTTP_USER_AGENT":"Mozilla\/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit\/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome\/45.0.2454.101 Safari\/537.36","HTTP_CONTENT_TYPE":"application\/json","HTTP_REFERER":"http:\/\/nas1\/"}}) ...
    omv-engined[11650]: RPC response (service=UserMgmt, method=authUser): {"response":{"authenticated":true,"username":"admin"},"error":null}
    omv-engined[11625]: SIGCHLD received ...
    omv-engined[11625]: Child (pid=11650) terminated with exit code 0

I've even restarted the box to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Unfortunately I only have the admin account for the Web GUI. If I try to login with root it does not work and gives me the "incorrect username or password" error.

Is there a way via CLI to add additional users to the web GUI?

• I found on a different thread how to add a user:

Code
    useradd --groups users testuser
    passwd testuser

Unfortunately the same behavior persists when I try to login with the new user: communication failure.

• The only user who can access all the settings in the webinterface is admin. You can add users in the webIF. But they only have a very limited view and there is no way to grant them more rights within the webif.

• Code
    Filesystem                                              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                                                   88G  1.7G   82G   2% /
    udev                                                     10M     0   10M   0% /dev
    tmpfs                                                   792M  1.9M  790M   1% /run
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/76071087-ae48-492b-be72-11192a995a46   88G  1.7G   82G   2% /
    tmpfs                                                   5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
    tmpfs                                                   2.4G  4.0K  2.4G   1% /run/shm
    /dev/md0                                                3.6T  1.8T  1.8T  51% /media/cda25310-acf5-43a4-9aa0-5a464d0882d5
  • I did the command you sent.

It upgraded from OMV 2.1.16 to 2.1.17.

Unfortunately the problem still exists.

Could it be that there is some timeout that is happening? That after the login, the page it taking a long time to render (gather details, etc.) and that the communication failure message happens because of the timeout?

• I have tried the incognito mode and the behavior is the same: Please wait... for 30 seconds, then communication failure.

I could find one place for a timeout from the linked article--/etc/default/openmediavault and I added OMV_HTTPREQUEST_TIMEOUT=180000 and then restarted omv-engined but it didn't seem to affect the timeout. It still waited 30 seconds and said communication failure.

I could not find the second location the user refers to in the linked article.

• Well I sort of solved this problem.

I hacked the session.inc file (/var/www/openmediavault/session.inc) and commented the code out that tried to email on the first login. I believe I probably have something incorrect in my email settings that was causing this to hang at this point. Here's the block of code I commented in case someone else has the same issue:

• Wow! I have been perusing the Forum for any information as to why the WebGUI constantly displays Errors and Communication Failures (with no Details, and no matter where you are in the GUI) and am dismayed that this apparently has been going on for well over a year (at least on this single thread) with no resolution. Here it is, October 18, 2016 and apparently no one has solved this problem (as I write this, my WebGUI that I have running in another window has registered about 40 unnamed, undetailed errors).

I am running my GUI in a Windows 10 environment, 64-bit AMD quad-core, using Google Chrome.

Has there ever been an answer on this??

• Offizieller Beitrag

You see communication errors when ever nginx (web server) restarts. That can happen multiple times occasionally in an upgrade. No harm. If there is an error with a repo (external server down), that can cause errors. So, it isn't always something OMV can "fix".

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I had a similar problem and would like to hare my solution.

Problem: The web GUI was stuck in a login loop. I enter my login data but it comes back to the login form. SSH login is still possible. Rebooting the device takes a long time.

Solution: Reply number 8 by subzero79 showed the way for me.

Code
    sample output:

> df -h

Filesystem                                              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                                                  8096M 8000M  0M  100% /

My SD-card was full and there was no space left on the device.
    Next step was to find out where all the space was gone.

Code
    > sudo du -hsx /* | sort -rh | head -n 40

In my case, I did a faulty backup on the SD-card instead of the external hard drive.
    After deleting the files from the SD-card, the login via web GUI was possible again. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!