PlexMediaServer: Set database location and update to latest version!

• I've installed openmediavault-plexmediaserver and I have 2 questions about this:

• As soon as I launched Plex Media Server for the first time I was told there was a newer version available. How exactly do I update?

• How can I pick the database location as being /var/lib/plexmediaserver? It forces me to pick a database volume as such it will place the database at /media/<volume-uuid>/plexmediaserver and I don't want that.

Thoughts?

• The current version of Plexmedia server that OMV has in its repository is 0.9.12.11.

The current version, available via plex.tv is 0.9.12.13 and this is what a Plexmedia client will report as current.

You have some choices if you want 0.9.12.13:

1) Wait for OMV's repository to catch up, or

2) Download and manually install a proper copy of 0.9.12.13, or

3) Subscribe your OMV machine to a Plexmediaserver repository that more closely tracks plex.tv releases.

Do not download and use plex.tv Ubuntu packages unless you know how to properly preserve and protect the the /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver script.

OMV will not allow you to place the Plexmediaserver database on the OMV system drive, and for what I think might be a good reason. In my experience with Plex, and I don't consider my media collection to be all that large (about 4TB of movies and music albums), the plexmediaserver database alone has grown to the following:

31.1GB made up of 222,841 files in 120,368 folders.

In contrast, my OMV system drive is a tiny 30GB SSD and only 2.1GB of it is currently being used. I don't recall this being larger than when it was first installed six months ago.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• 2) Download and manually install a proper copy of 0.9.12.13, or

Do not download and use plex.tv Ubuntu packages unless you know how to properly preserve and protect the the /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver script.

Do you mean make a backup of the init.d script because installating the Ubuntu .deb package will overwrite that and then proceed with restoring that file? I have no problem doing that... :)

OMV will not allow you to place the Plexmediaserver database on the OMV system drive, and for what I think might be a good reason. In my experience with Plex, and I don't consider my media collection to be all that large (about 4TB of movies and music albums), the plexmediaserver database alone has grown to the following:

31.1GB made up of 222,841 files in 120,368 folders.

In contrast, my OMV system drive is a tiny 30GB SSD and only 2.1GB of it is currently being used. I don't recall this being larger than when it was first installed six months ago.

Looks like a good reason, didn't know it could grow like that... My system drive even smaller, 10GB. Everything else is reserved for /home; will place the folder there then. Thanks.

• Yes, you have it right with making a backup of the init.d script and restoring it after the install. I use the proper debian wheezy packages offered by yakumo in his repo. AFAIK those are the ones that eventually wind up in the OMV repo.

The size of that database was a surprise to me too. Maybe we can have %@!#size war with it and see who has the biggest one ;)

You might be able to place a symlink to /var/lib/plexmediaserver in /media/<volume-uuid>.......just to see how long it takes to fill up your system drive. LOL.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Yes, you have it right with making a backup of the init.d script and restoring it after the install. I use the proper debian wheezy packages offered by yakumo in his repo. AFAIK those are the ones that eventually wind up in the OMV repo.

What if I install the openmediavault-plexmediaserver plugin from OMV and then add yakumo repo to my sources.list and do an apt-get update/upgrade? Will that still modify the init.d script?

EDIT: Actually, if I add yakumo's repo before installing the plugin, won't the plugin pick up the latest version from yakumo's repo?

• I use one of yakumo's repos myself. The packages are proper for debian wheezy, and contain the correct for OMV init.d script.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

If someone would notify me when a new version of plex is released, I would add to the omv repo... That said, 0.9.12.13 is in the repo.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That site is a repository for the Debian package of Plex Media Server, not the OMV plugin.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

@ryecoaaron there is a new version out 0.9.12.18

Thanks for the update. Repo is updated :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!