Super slow copy speeds

• Hey guys being if anyone has ideas about this.

Just installed OMV and really like the interface. Works rock solid so far. The problem is I'm seeing extremely slow copy/write speeds.

In my setup the OS is installed on an SSD and all the storage is handled on a Hitachi 5k3000. The copying I'm referring to is all from one section of the HD to another, just relocating directories so to speak. No network involved.

Im getting speeds at around 10mb/sec.

Hardware is AMD A-5700, 8GB RAM. Hard drive currently NTFS because thats what it was formatted previously with Windows. When initiating a copy I'm seeing the CPU at about 5-10%.

• In my experience on OMV, NTFS write performance is dismal. I see results similar to yours.

Read performance is not bad though.

I don't use NTFS on my OMV drives for other reasons, but the poor write speed alone would be enough for me to stay away from it.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I would be willing to swap the entire thing to EXT4 but I don't have the spare space to unload my content anywhere to transfer it back.

I tried setting up a test with a USB Thumb drive as EXT 4. Performance is marginally better but not by much, I'm not sure if its a fair test to gauge performance either. Im used to seeing in excess of 100mb/s with this drive though.

• USB 2.0 will be poor, USB 3.0 better.

My OMV drives, 3X 3TB WD Reds, are formatted EXT4.

Copying a 3.2GB file from a Windows box over a GB network connection to an OMV EXT4 drive just takes a few seconds. Copy speeds of well over 100MB/s (that's bytes/s not bits/s) are typical.

As for not having any place to copy the stuff off to, time to buy another drive :) Where is your data backed up to?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Also notice that your speed 10MB/s looks like a fast ethernet link, you might wanna check if the switch in the router is capable of Gbit speed. Check with ethtool eth0

Should displaye current negotiated speed and current capable in the adapter and advertised by the switch.

And also as @gderf , switch to native linux format, ntfs is just headaches, use it for portables drives or usb sticks.

• I believe the OP has stated that his 10mb/sec is drive to same drive copy speed - no network is involved at all.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I didn't read all this but do what you need to do so that all drives on your OMV are formatted ext4 or xfs. You might have to transfer the data on the NTFS drive to another drive before you can reformat it. This is the best solution even if you need to buy another drive to accomplish it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!