Latest (Kernel?) Update Causes Boot Problems

• I finally found the time to update my system due to the ZFS related init issues and ran into a strange problem. It seems that the kernel is unable to initialize my USB thumb drive boot device during the initramfs phase properly unless I yank it out and re-insert it while it's "Waiting for root filesystem". I have a SuperMicro X7QC3 motherboard with an AMI BIOS and my USB controller is set to boot at "HiSpeed" in the BIOS. It gets through Grub with no issues and loads the kernel image and the initrd into memory without issue. It then happily detects all of my hard disks used in my ZFS setup with no problem. If I do nothing it will wait for the root FS (on the USB drive) to show up until something times out at which point it will drop me to an initramfs busybox prompt. Looking for the device shows that nothing has been detected. Sometimes I will get errors about a USB device not being able to be enumerated.

If I, instead, wait for "Waiting for root file system" to show up and pull out and re-insert the USB drive, it will properly detect it and boot up fine. So...what gives? Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Woops, forgot to provide any useful information. The USB thumb drive is a "SanDisk Ultra Fit" with ID "0781:4483".

uname output: Linux ezra 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.68-1+deb7u5 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    apt-show-versions: linux-image-amd64/wheezy uptodate 3.2+46
    dmesg:

In that log, I waited until I saw

Code
    [ 18.232033] usb 1-4: device descriptor read/64, error -110
    [ 23.456021] usb 1-4: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    [ 23.616253] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4

before yanking and re-inserting the thumb drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!