[Advice needed] Using an SSD for OMV boot drive

• Hello,

Background info.

I currently have a HP Proliant n54l microserver. After trying out Freenas I'm switching over to Open Media Vault (OMV).

Questions

I plan to run OMV from a Solid State Disk (SSD) here are my questions

• Will there be any benefits from running OMV from SDD or would an HDD be just as good?
    • What if any benefits will I see from running OMV on an SSD drive?
    • What size SSD should I get if I wish to boot and run OMV via SSD?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

1 - Not really.
    2 - The web interface might be a little faster.
    3 - None of my systems use more than 8 GB of space on the OS drive.

If you are going to use flash/ssd, make sure to use the openmediavault-flashmemory plugin.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• 1. The benefit of an SSD would be it is considerably faster than HDD. OMV may be snappier in handling, but I cannot say one way or the other as I installed OMV to SSD and don't know how it would handle on an HDD.

2. See above.

3. As small as you can find is all you will need. My OMV is on a 30GB SSD because I couldn't find one smaller at the time. Only 2GB of the available 30GB is being used.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That drive will work fine. I have used one with an OMV box before.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• @ryecoaaron how do i need the openmediavault-flashmemory for a ssd? I think i need the plugin only for a usb stick?!

omv 6.x | 64 bit | omvextrasorg 6.x |
    used plugins: omv-extras | portainer | rsnapshot | antivirus
    used container: portainer/portainer | nextcloud/all-in-one | linuxserver/swag | paperless-ngx | jellyfin/jellyfin | lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver | adguard/adguardhome |

• I think i need the plugin only for a usb stick?!

It does not matter if you have an USB-Stick/SD-Card, an SSD-Drive or an HDD-Drive. It simply moves most of the files which write or read much to the RAM and therefore reduces the read/write on your system drive.

So yes, it is absolutely perfect for USB Sticks / SD Cards. But you can use it with other drives as well.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@ryecoaaron how do i need the openmediavault-flashmemory for a ssd? I think i need the plugin only for a usb stick?!

I recommend it for SSDs because there are a lot of cheap SSDs out there (especially the small ones) that aren't much better than a usb stick. Not many people are using a Samsung 850 Pro for their OS.

• Sorry for the question... Whot does the Plugin do?

used container: portainer/portainer | nextcloud/all-in-one | linuxserver/swag | paperless-ngx | jellyfin/jellyfin | lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver | adguard/adguardhome |

• Offizieller Beitrag

Moves the directories that have a large amount of writes (like logging) to memory. They are only written to disk when you shutdown.

• @ryecoaaron many thanks!

• I use a Intel 313 20GB. I'm not concerned about writes wearing it out as it's designed for caching, so has lots of endurance.

About to move to OMV 3.0, running Sonarr, Emby, NZBGet on a Pentium G4520 on an AsRock B150M Pro4S and 16GB DDR4 in a Lian-Li PC-M25A case.
    Sub 10W idle power draw, thanks to SuperFlower 350W 80Plus Gold PSU.

• I've read this post, and must thank everybody as I did not knew about Flash Menory pluging.

My 2 cents is that I'm using this 8GB SSD
    http://www.dx.com/es/p/kingspe…e-8gb-104062#.VjehWyu6-Uk
    for almost every (linux)computer I have, as a boot device.

I have units 6 years old and I've had no fail. Now with Flash Memory my OMV units will last for 10 years more

Will try to find how to install Flas Memory to other linux distributions.

Thanks

OMV 4.x. OMV-Extras ZFS iSCSI Infiniband. Testing OMV 5.1. Testing OMV arm64

• Offizieller Beitrag

@ryecoaaron Is there any way we can have a setting to tell how often to write to disk???

You would have to ask bobafett. Personally, I think this defeats the purpose of the plugin (to write to drive on regular basis).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!