[Advice needed] Using an SSD for OMV boot drive

• Offizieller Beitrag

I recommend it for SSDs because there are a lot of cheap SSDs out there (especially the small ones) that aren't much better than a usb stick. Not many people are using a Samsung 850 Pro for their OS.

Very interesting... I had never thought about using the flash-memory plugin with an SSD... but it makes sense. Assuming an SSD supports trim, would you still need (or should you anyway?) to use "discard"?

My OS drive (80gig 2.5in sata drive) has developed the click of death, so I know it is on its last leg (just replaced my data drives about 3mo ago w/ 4tb drives)... I was surfing ebay tonight and looking at some prices. Given what you're saying, I might go ahead and go w/ an SSD.

I'll have to give it some thought.

• It seemed a consumer-grade SSD was overkill so I got a Kingspec DOM. I haven't done any speed testing but manufacturer specs are on-par with low-end SSD drives and it seems plenty fast for OMV purposes. 16GB for $27 shipped. Bought on ebay.

Kingspec claims for write endurance: "8 years @ 100GB write and erase per day" or sometimes: "80 years @ 10GB write and erase per day"

I am not familiar with Kingspec so take this claim with a grain of salt. But for $30 I am ok if the thing wears out after a few years.

I have no idea how much write and erase occurs with OMV. I leave my system on all the time, and it's been running for 1.5 years without any hitches so far. Wish I could say the same for the data drives actually..

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, as I sit here, the click is becoming considerably more frequent (or maybe I've just convinced myself it has..lol), and I don't think I've got much time to procrastinate. I just ordered the Kingston SSDNow V300.

This clicking is becoming so frequent, I'm wondering if it will get here before my OS drive dies..lol.

• The other option is to use a SSD to boot off, and repartition it so you can use the rest as a working storage drive (for downloads/Plex library, etc). Thinking of doing this myself, rather than running two SSDs.

About to move to OMV 3.0, running Sonarr, Emby, NZBGet on a Pentium G4520 on an AsRock B150M Pro4S and 16GB DDR4 in a Lian-Li PC-M25A case.
    Sub 10W idle power draw, thanks to SuperFlower 350W 80Plus Gold PSU.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The other option is to use a SSD to boot off, and repartition it so you can use the rest as a working storage drive (for downloads/Plex library, etc). Thinking of doing this myself, rather than running two SSDs.

You could do that.. but to me you get into a "cost vs benefit' situation.. is the minor speed difference really worth the amount of money you spend on the larger SSD's, just to download some files to or to store your Plex library? To me.. it's not. Truthfully, I'm not even sure it's worth the $45 I spent when I plan to just use it for the OS.... but we shall see.

• Plex's performance is vastly improved by a SSD. Browsing the library on my HTPC is markedly faster when the library is on SSD, so much so that the wife asked "how is this suddenly so much faster?" when I moved the Plex library from a 320GB WD Black to the 120GB Intel SSD.

Plus, you also have the added reliability of the SSD compared to HDD, better power consumption, and less noise.

Thankfully, cost is not a massive issue as far as I'm concerned, performance is pretty much everything.

About to move to OMV 3.0, running Sonarr, Emby, NZBGet on a Pentium G4520 on an AsRock B150M Pro4S and 16GB DDR4 in a Lian-Li PC-M25A case.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von HellDiverUK ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Plex's performance is vastly improved by a SSD. Browsing the library on my HTPC is markedly faster when the library is on SSD, so much so that the wife asked "how is this suddenly so much faster?" when I moved the Plex library from a 320GB WD Black to the 120GB Intel SSD.

Plus, you also have the added reliability of the SSD compared to HDD, better power consumption, and less noise.

Thankfully, cost is not a massive issue as far as I'm concerned, performance is pretty much everything.

I've had my Plex db on a 2tb W Green (arguably one of the slowest drives out there) and I never had an issue w/ speed at all.

Power consumption, etc.. is a wash. Cost is really no big deal to me... I just don't like spending money when I'm not getting much in return.

• My wife is impatient. Plex must show the library instantly. There must be no delay. SSD makes this possible.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I thought I'd update this thread for those interested... I've been using my SSD for about a week. Here's the drive I got: http://www.newegg.com/Product/…aspx?Item=N82E16820721106

First.. The drive seems to work extremely well. It boots incredibly fast and is very quiet.

Unfortunately, that's really the only good things I can say about it (in comparison to a standard 2.5in sata drive). Other than the boot speed, and a VERY SLIGHT difference in the speed of the webUI... The boot speed is incredible. It's probably from grub to prompt, about 8-9sec, if that. However, considering I probably only boot my machine once or twice a week. This is not an issue for me. The drive is very quiet. I can't even hear it w/ the cover off the NAS.. however, again this isn't an issue w/ a standard 2.5 SATA drive (until the recent clicking that resulted in this purchase). The webUI.. I was expecting some better performance, but if it's better, it is VERY SLIGHT, to the point of being not noticeable.

It's just really tough for me to get excited about an SSD for an OS drive. The only thing I could point to that is considerably better, are boot times, and frankly I don't think the price difference of the two was worth that. If this one croaks.. I'll go to my old standby and hop on eBay and buy a new 80-160gig 2.5in sata drive for around $25.

Just my opinion... :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!