Upgrading NAS (now with pictures)

• Hi,

After years of use a HP OMV N36L I think it's time to upgrade to a new NAS that handle my new needs.

I would like to know your opinion on the HW that I have decided for this new adventure.
    The main purpose is streaming audio and video (2 to 4 concurrent)

Motherboard: Asrock C2550D4I
    Mem: Crucial 1x 8GB ECC 1600 (CT16G3ELSLQ8160B)
    PS: Corsair CX Series ™ Modular CX600M
    Drives: 4 x WD Green 2TB
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4

I want to re-use the components of my old NAS like the system drive and 4 x WD Green 2TB (RAID 5)

The new NAS would have a total of 9 disks (1 system + 8)

The doubts:

I would like to install in the new NAS the old OMV system disk and the drives that contains the RAID and make grow with the new four.

It's posible? Risk of loss of old raid?

Opinions and suggestions are welcome. :)

duna4

• I can tell you about my NAS that I am very happy with.

MB: ASRock C2550D4I
    Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR3/DDR3L-1600MT/s (PC3-12800) DR x8 ECC UDIMM Server Memory (8GBx2)
    Case: SilverStone DS380B
    P/S: FSP Group Mini ITX / Micro ATX / SFX 300W 80 Plus Certification Power Supply (FSP300-60GHS)
    Drives: 4X WD Red 3TB
    OS Drive: 30GB ADATA SP600 SSD
    USB 3.0 addin card: Silverstone Tek PCI Express Card with 2x USB 3.0 External Ports and Internal 19 Pin Dual Port Connector (EC04-P)

I can't say for sure about importing an existing raid into a new system. I run SnapRaid on mine which is completely portable.

Good luck and enjoy your new build.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks Gderf for your reply.

Do you think is important to have 16GB instead of 8GB for my purproses?

I hope someone can enlighten me with the importation

Regards

duna4

• I am unsure whether adding more RAM will have a large benefit for you, unless you are using a file system like ZFS that demands huge RAM.

I bought my RAM and MB as a bundle, so I didn't give it much thought.

Looking over your list again, I think the power supply might be a bit oversize, but I don't think that will hurt anything. Try to research that model and see what is said about fan noise, if anything.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I agree with you about PS, probably with 500w or a little less. I chose 600 for the amount of SATA cables that supply.

Now in my present NAS have 4GB and use 25% to 50%, 8GB in the new system will be enough.

Thanks gderf

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks good and wiring is nice & clean :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks, the case help to maintain wired clean.

Now the NAS is running happily with OMV, Java 8, Subsonic (Music server), Emby (Media server) and Webmin.

Controlled all through terminal screen or web GUI, NAS is on garage.

Best

duna4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!