LUKS disk encryption plugin

• Sounds great but how do you do that? The same system that mounts the filesystem with the key file in it (fstab) is going to try and mount the filesystem inside the LUKS container. This will fail since the container is not unlocked. You are supposed to be able to add disks containing key files in /etc/default/cryptdisks so they are mounted before the container is unlocked but I didn't have much luck with that.

We might be talking about two different things.

If you are thinking about auto-unlocking the root filesystem or any related FS's that are needed for the system startup, then you're obviously right. This is not what I'm referring to though. The containers I'm thinking about are data containers. They can be mounted at will, like the containers that are currently supported by the plugin.
    For those, I propose a new feature: configure the name (full path) of a key file, with which the container is encrypted. So long as they key file is absent, the status is as it is now (no unlocking). Once the file becomes available (say, a USB drive has been mounted), the container is auto-unlocked.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For those, I propose a new feature: configure the name (full path) of a key file, with which the container is encrypted. So long as they key file is absent, the status is as it is now (no unlocking). Once the file becomes available (say, a USB drive has been mounted), the container is auto-unlocked.

That would sound like is just editing a single file ("/etc/crypttab"). I use similar setup, the keys are stored in a small virtual disk, that small disk gets unlocked and mounted at initramfs, then crypttab uses the keyfiles in the disk to unlock them. At the end of the boot i have a systemd unit to lock back the virtual disk containing the keys.
    For this to work i had to go little bit further an insert a initramfs script to manually unlock during boot the disk containing the keys.

• That would sound like is just editing a single file ("/etc/crypttab"). I use similar setup, the keys are stored in a small virtual disk, that small disk gets unlocked and mounted at initramfs, then crypttab uses the keyfiles in the disk to unlock them. At the end of the boot i have a systemd unit to lock back the virtual disk containing the keys.For this to work i had to go little bit further an insert a initramfs script to manually unlock during boot the disk containing the keys.

The difference is the trigger for unlocking. What I propose above "waits" for the keyfile to be present (poll, or event driven) and once available, does the luksOpen and triggers a mount. In contrast with your case, it can happen any time, even much later than boot time. The key can also be on a device that is not (yet) available at boot.

• Boot time. Systemd can correlate all dependencies in between crypttab and fstab. I did a test on disk a few weeks ago that's why I know. I think I still have the vm I did that.

Exactly. Which goes back to the original point of the recent discussion and the proposal. If the external drive on which the key resides is not available (yet?) at boot time, there will obviously not be any luksOpen or mount. If the drive is made available later (just for the sake of this discussion, assume an hour later) than boot time, one will need to manually do the steps or script them.

So, if the plugin were to allow a config in which the key file is a file spec (on top of the current config options - passphrase and HTTP upload), and will do its thing when the file exists (and wait for it if it doesn't), we'll be able to achieve that.

This allows for auto-mounting on one hand, and if the server is taken, or a hard drive needs to be replaced etc., data can not be recovered (unless the external drive carrying the key is taken too).

• I just wanted to let you guys know about an error that occurred whilst installing a new OMW3 server. Since the problem was reproducible and occurred after another fresh install as well, here's what's happened:

After a fresh install of OMV3 and update to the newest version (3.0.87 Erasmus) I tried to install the openmediavault-luksencryption 3.0.2 plugin via GUI. As soon as I hit Install the pop-up windows shows up telling me
    that the following packages will need to be installed cryptsetup-bin openmediavault-luksencryption... so the standard procedure. Only then, nothing happens.
    Even after waiting for several minutes, nothing happens.
    When reloading the page and trying to install the plugin again, it'll tell me apt-get is obviously still running in the background - Error: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

So I log in via ssh and have a look:

Bash
    ps aux | grep apt

I now can see the process:

Bash
    root      5487  0.0  0.0   4336   808 ?        S    21:46   0:00 sh -c export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bi                                         n:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt                                         -get --yes --force-yes --fix-missing --allow-unauthenticated --reinstall install openmediavault-lukse                                         ncryption 2>&1

It seemed to have stopped working. I can kill it using kill 5487 (the process number) - but when trying to install LUKS yet again the same will happen over and over.
    The logs of OMV aren't helpful at all - they're just empty (or I'm too dumb to pick the right one or choose the right settings)

Anyways, so I tried installing using ssh (BTW apt-get -f install didn't help either) and now I do get an error message (sorry, it's in German):

So somehow OMV wants to access /media/cdrom and look for Debian GNU/Linux 8 _Jessie_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20170706-22:03.
    What the..?
    OK, so after some googling around I found where to look for the setting (https://www.velocihost.net/cli…d--on-your-Linux-VPS.html)

Code
    nano /etc/apt/sources.list

(Call me names, I hate vi and love nano)

So in there I just prefix the deb cdrom: line with # - save and exit nano.

...and afterwards, LUKS encryption installation was no problem whatsoever.

Maybe that'll help somebody else.
    I still wonder why it's trying to access a non-existent CDROM at all...

• Offizieller Beitrag

This isn't a problem with the plugin. You must have done something different with your install (installed Debian then OMV? or installed OMV without a network connection).

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Sorry, but it was exactly as I pointed out - it was a fresh install (and the since I reinstalled everything from scratch about three weeks later with the same error it occurred twice; but I'm repeating myself again) of OMV3, network connection was present all the time.
    The problem didn't occur with any other plugin.

• He might have installed OMV from the iso and enabled the rom by accident.

On my freshly installed OMV amd64 the cdrom-deb is commented.

Installing a Debian from iso and then OMV will leave you with cdrom-deb active!

• I used openmediavault_3.0.82-amd64.iso (That's the one I still had from the first installation and didn't update it to the now available 3.0.86), installed it to a USB Stick using rufus 2.16p and let it run.
    There's absolutely nothing else I did.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The problem didn't occur with any other plugin.

That is just coincidence. The plugin doesn't add the repo it is in. omv-extras does. And the none of the omv-extras plugins including omv-extras itself adds/removes/enables/disables the cdrom sources.list entry.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't believe in coincidence, at least not in this matter. I believe in reproducibility which I proved.

It doesn't matter if you believe in coincidence. I know this plugin very well. What happened is you reproduced your error. How can a plugin that doesn't touch anything in /etc/apt/sources.list add the cd-rom entry to /etc/apt/sources.list??

• fyi:
    Due to system errors on my system drive I just reinstalled the entire system, this time with the current 3.0.86.
    Exactly nothing else was changed, so the exact same setup as above, same installation procedure - this time LUKS encryption installation was no problem whatsoever. So the problem must have related to do with 3.0.82 I used before (see above).

• Hi all,
    I have just installed OMV (3.0.90 Erasmus) and Luks on a Banana Pi Neo2+ 1 Bay NAS using the official image from FriendlyElec (Linux 4.11.2)
    I have a 4TB drive that I would like to encrypt it fully, I have no issue creating the ecrypted drive with a simple password, but when I try to decrypt it I have the following error:

Code
    Unable to unlock encrypted device: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; echo -n '########' | cryptsetup luksOpen '/dev/sda' 'sda'-crypt --key-file=- 2>&1' with exit code '1': device-mapper: reload ioctl on sda-crypt failed: Invalid argument

Error #0: exception 'OMV\Exception' with message 'Unable to unlock encrypted device: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; echo -n ''########' | cryptsetup luksOpen '/dev/sda' 'sda'-crypt --key-file=- 2>&1' with exit code '1': device-mapper: reload ioctl on sda-crypt failed: Invalid argument' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/luks.inc:239 
    Stack trace: 
    #0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceLuksMgmt->openContainer(Array, Array) 
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) 
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('openContainer', Array, Array) #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('LuksMgmt', 'openContainer', Array, Array, 1) 
    #4 {main}

Does anyone would have an idea from where to would be coming from?

Thanks for all your help!
    Olivier

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not able to reproduce this issue. Does the following command work? cryptsetup luksOpen '/dev/sda' 'sda'-crypt What is the output of: lsmod | grep dm

• Hello Ryecaooron,

Thanks for your help!
    Here's the output:

Code
    Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
    permitted by applicable law.
    root@#####:~# cryptsetup luksOpen '/dev/sda' 'sda'-crypt
    Enter passphrase for /dev/sda:
    device-mapper: reload ioctl on sda-crypt failed: Invalid argument
    root@#####:~# lsmod | grep dm
    dm_mod                106496  0
    root@#####:~#

Olivier

• Offizieller Beitrag

You are missing the dm_crypt module. That is why it isn't working. Try: modprobe dm_crypt If that doesn't work, post the output of: grep -i dm_crypt /boot/*

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!