Wake on Lan NAS wakes NAS up too often

• Hey,

I wanted to use Autoshutdown in conjunction with wake on lan. I also wanted to make the server accessible from the web for things like owncloud etc.

I have set up "wake on lan" and checked therefor the option in my Fritzbox/router called "automatic computerstart for internet requests".
    The problem now is, that the NAS/Server wakes up randomly if the network-cable is attached.
    At the moment there is only one smb and one afp share and the computers that can access them are shut down... so i guess it has something to do with either the router/Fritzbox, or some random "pokes" from the internet?

Did I miss something, or how can I set this up without random starts?

Thanks in advance!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think I'd be pretty concerned about this behavior. "Random pokes" from the internet... I dunno. I'd suggest more that something has been compromised. I'm not that familiar w/ the Fritzbox, but it seems that might be where this stuff is starting.

This is just a risk you take when you forward stuff to the internet, open ports, etc.

• beforehand I forgot to mention above that I...
    - set up a DNS-Service for my IP (duckdns.org).
    - set up an FTP-Server on Port 21
    - in fact I had SSH available on Port 22, but after i got a bit scared by the random wake-ups, I closed it again

I now tested to "telnet" my IP on Port 21 (port for FTP). It immediately woke up the server. So i guess whenever anyone pokes that port the Server would wake up.
    Can I somehow change that behavior?

Thanks already in advance!

• Change the port for a higher one or disable that wake up service in the router.

Well the wake up service is necessary to wake the server up from outside, right? So my only option would be to never shut it down. My original goal was to have it "autoshutdown" and have it online at certain times and be able to wake it up when i need to.

So the other option is to use just an non-standard-port for the ftp, right?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!