Migrating from DNS-320 to OMV

• Hi!

My DNS-320 "NAS" is getting very slow (5 Mbytes/sec read on a gigabit link), and i am thinking about to build a NAS from my old hardwares.

My problem is that, i have two 2TB Hitachi HDD with a Raid 1 and a JBOD volume on it, nearly full.

Can i mount these two volumes under OMV without loosing any data?

This is how my raid config looks like:

root@dlink-dns320:# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1]
    md2 : active linear sda3[0] sdb3[1]
    2928376192 blocks 64k rounding

md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
    488281536 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
    530048 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

I have no idea what md0 is, it is not mounted.

Thanks for the help in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, OMV should be able to mount those volumes. md0 is probably a mirrored swap partition judging by the size.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Yes, OMV should be able to mount those volumes. md0 is probably a mirrored swap partition judging by the size.

Thank you!

Any special commands, or just install OMV, then plug in the two harddrives and mount then from the web interface?

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "Vieron82"

or just install OMV, then plug in the two harddrives and mount then from the web interface?

That's it. It should find the existing array. Then, mount it and create shares.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• And you should consider to move away from multiple raids on physical disks. That will kill your performance as long as you do not write or read exclusively at any given point in time to exactly one raid. Otherwise the heads will jump back and forth and will kill your performance, which I guess is one part of your current performance issue.

So you also can remove on of the disks from all raids and create a new raid on it and then migrate the data to the new raid. After copying all over, you can then thrash the old raids and include the disk into the new raid.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Zitat von "SerErris"

And you should consider to move away from multiple raids on physical disks. That will kill your performance as long as you do not write or read exclusively at any given point in time to exactly one raid. Otherwise the heads will jump back and forth and will kill your performance, which I guess is one part of your current performance issue.

So you also can remove on of the disks from all raids and create a new raid on it and then migrate the data to the new raid. After copying all over, you can then thrash the old raids and include the disk into the new raid.

Thanks for the advice, but my perfomnca problems was realted to the DNS-320 nas, witha superior hardware (800Mhz ARM CPU, 128MB SD RAM).

The RAID 1 is only used for data backup (family photos, contracts, ... ) so it is not used regulary.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!