[1/2 solved] avahi-daemon Invalid response packet from host

• The rsyslog.conf is still there with the extra lines that I added, but somehow I still get the same error: avahi-daemon Invalid response packet from host

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• You are right. After the upgrade to v2.1.25, I also started getting those message again. Here are my observations:

• Those messages started after the upgrade.
    • The file /etc/rsyslog.conf hasn't been changed.
    • After executed the command 'service rsyslog restart', those messages stopped.
    • Restarted the OMV system, and those messages came back flooding again.
    • Ran 'service rsyslog restart' to silence those message.

They seem to suggest that OMV uses a different config file for rsyslogd when starting. Once restarting rsyslogd with the regular config file, the modification for ignoring that message takes effect.

I will look into OMV's source codes to see whether my hypothesis is correct or not.

OpenMediaVault 7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) :thumbup:
    HARDWARE: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2 | SYSTEM: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) aarch64

KERNEL: Linux 6.1.21-v8+ | PROCESSOR: BCM2835 (4) @ 1.500GHz | MEMORY: 4GB | STORAGE: MicroSD 60GB + HDD 6TB
    PLUGINS: nut, omvextrasorg, backup, compose, cputemp, flashmemory, kernel, remotemount, sharerootfs

DOCKER: nginx proxy manager, pi-hole, wireguard, transmission

• After some investigations into this problem, I can definitely say that it is NOT caused by OMV. In fact, it's a bug in the codes of certain versions of Windows (my culprit is a Windows Server 2012) which respond to mDNS requests. Microsoft seems have patched it up in Windows 10 already but not Windows Server 2012.

Here are some ways to fix it:

• Wait for Microsoft to patch up the bug in your version of Windows. In the mean time you can try remove all shared printers on your Windows hosts that cause the messages.
    • Upgrade your avahi-daemon to version 0.6.32rc. This version includes a patch for ignoring bad responses from Windows, but is not a stable release and still under development. (This should be the eventual solution when rsyslog 0.6.32 becomes stable.)
    • Stop avahi-daemon all together on your OMV. However, some parts of OMV and its plugins use avahi, so that may break some functionalities.
    • Modify /etc/rsyslog.conf to ignore those messages as outlined in my earlier post. NOTE: for some unknown reasons rsyslog on some Linux boxes doesn't honor /etc/rsyslog.conf at system boot-up. A restart of rsyslog is required every time the system reboots to let change take effect. (See below for an init script to do it automatically.

I don't see why it worked, but tinh_x7 reported switching the kernel to 3.2.0 fixed the problem of unwanted messages. My OMV box has kernel 3.2.0-4-kirkwood and is experiencing this problem.

If you'd like to use method 4 and the rsyslog on your Linux box doesn't honor /etc/rsyslog.conf at boot, then add this init script as /etc/init.d/restart-rsyslog to your system:

Then enter this command to activate it:

Code
    # update-rc.d restart-rsyslog defaults

And verify it:

Code
    # find /etc/rc?.d -name '*restart-rsyslog*'

HARDWARE: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2 | SYSTEM: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) aarch64

KERNEL: Linux 6.1.21-v8+ | PROCESSOR: BCM2835 (4) @ 1.500GHz | MEMORY: 4GB | STORAGE: MicroSD 60GB + HDD 6TB
    PLUGINS: nut, omvextrasorg, backup, compose, cputemp, flashmemory, kernel, remotemount, sharerootfs

• Avahi 0.6.32-1 has just been released into sid repository. Since sid is the development repository and unstable, using it might cause issues on your system. Currently there are no backports for jessie or wheezy.

• Ah ok. Thanks.

But I don't get this. I have 2 Amazon Fire TV Sticks and one normal Fire TV. But only one is giving me this message in the syslog. I powered it off. No problems coming from the other 2. I switched power on again and get the message from this stick again. Very strange.....

• Ok, I now tried further to see what the problem could be. I now did a factory reset on this Fire TV stick and after putting it back in the WLAN no further messages concerning avahi-daemon are coming from the stick.

So if somebody gets the avahi-daemon message in syslog coming from an Amazon Fire TV stick a factory reset seems to fix that problem!

Regards lulu

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!