Sata controller compatibility

• Goodevening, I'm ew in the forum. I'm interested in trying Openmediavault to built my own NAS and understand if it could meet my expectations.
    Currently I'm trying to install it on an old PC. Starting the install of the system from a bootable DVD the install process stops because it can't find any storage disk. I'm using a Asus (HP branded) A7V8X-LA motherboard equipped with VT8237 southbridge (2 sata ports). Alternatively I can use a PCI Sata controller (4 ports) based on Sil3114 chipset. Is there any chance to make the system working with one or both controllers? It seems to be a driver problem, I don't find any working linux driver for these controllers.
    Thank you in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can try the backports kernel but that is a very old system and not very power efficient. If it doesn't work, I wouldn't add parts to get it to work. I would find a different, more power efficient system.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's a super old MB, it even has AGP. But the via should be supported under the sata_via module.
    Have you fiddle around the BIOS settings to see if the drives at least show there?
    Any options to change in the sata configuration there?

This is a quote from the manual:

"Adjust the necessary BIOS settings when using the serial ATA interface"

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!