OMV recognizes USB disk but not filesystem

• Hello,

I am using OMV 1.19 Kralizec on a Banana Pi (BanaNAS).
    A 2,5" SATA drive is connected as /dev/sda, one EXT4 partition (/dev/sda1) is mounted as /media/Bananas .

I want to connect an additional Intenso 1 TB external USB drive.
    On the disk, there is a MSDOS partition table with one partition occupying the whole drive.
    The filesystem is ExFAT, for maximum compatibility with my Windows PC and my Mac.

In the "physical disks" section, the drive shows up as /dev/sdb .
    However, in the "filesystems" section, the partition /dev/sdb1 does not show up.

What could be the reason of this?
    ExFAT is installed as a FUSE filesystem. Could it be that OMV can't cope with such filesystems?
    What can I do about it?

Thanks in advance to everyone!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I only see in the fs backend only vfat, you can ask at bugtracker.openmediavault.org for adding exfat, but maybe there is a reason the developer to keep it out. I though it was supported.
    You can try and use vfat or mount it manually and add the fs entry in config.xml to overcome this for now.

edit: If you want there are some solutions for ext3 in windows and osx. If you want to try that.

• Hello,

thanks for the info. Lack of support for exFAT in OMV is indeed the problem.

Using extX for the external disk is not an option for me; I've had negative experience with MacFuse under MacOS 10.9, resulting in massive data loss.

I tried to patch OpenMediaVault by adding a class OMVFilesystemBackendExfat.
    I managed to get the filesystem backend registered, now the "filesystems" view shows the partition, but when I try to mount it through OMV, nothing happens - no error message or anything, it just doesn't get mounted.
    OMV doesn't seem to write any logs, so I don't know what goes wrong.

Of course, I can still mount the partition from the console. So I can select the disk for shared folders etc.
    This is my workaround for now.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!