My Odroid XU4 build

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I remember correctly, the odroid kernels don't have xfs built into them. Installing xfsprogs won't help.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you want faster, you should plug the drives into a faster box and boot systemrescuecd.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have a Windows box? That is why I suggested booting systemrescuecd (or even an ubuntu/linux mint bootable iso).

• I do have a windows box. I tried that route with ubuntu, connected the 4 bay (same probox as TS) on usb 3.0, same transfer speeds. Data transger on the box is 5Gbps on USB 3.0, 6 Gbps on eSata, so I suspect that the transfer is so slow because of the XFS to ext4. Would that make sense?

Oh, my disks are a 4 TB WD Red and a 4TB WD Black

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope. That doesn't make sense. Linux doesn't care what filesystems they are as long as they are native linux filesystems. If they were both on the same usb hub and you were transferring a lot of small files, I could see the transfer speed being slow.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Possibly. I would try different usb ports and even different computers if available.

• Also, I'm having quite some trouble getting stuff working on this Odroid. I had Sickrage, couchpotato, Plex and some downloaders on the Cubox-i. All worked OK. On this Odroid, I can't get Plax nor Sickrage to work, it installs, starts but it gives me a 504 gateway time-out screen with nginx after a while. Any idea what could go wrong?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Some of them use different repos and different versions of packages. Most of the packages you are using aren't tested much on arm boxes. Not much we can do about it. Hopefully, it will get better with jessie/omv 3.x.

• Yes. By default, plex refuses to transcode anything on arm hosts. I had to manually edit the javascript file as described here http://www.htpcguides.com/fix-…enough-on-raspberry-pi-2/
    Even my raspberry pi 2 (overclocked to 1GHz) was able to transcode 1080p movies with a similar OMV + plex setup. The XU4 board have more cores, faster clock, and twice the ram. It works fine for 2 clients watching movies in formats that it needs to transcode. I havent seen even a single bit of skipping or stuttering.

I have only a few people in my house and never expect more than 2 people streaming from the server at a time. One of these days I'll have to test multiple clients and see how many are able to watch movies before the server gets too taxed.

If you have a sample video you'd like me to test and report back, I'll give it a shot.

I had to read those paragraphs twice. Are you really sure that a Raspi 2 overclocked to 1 GHz is able to transcode for Plex? Or even the Odroid XU4, is it really able to transcode for 2 clients simultaneously? What kind of clients are you using? Could you please confirm this? Or anybody in the forum?

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• I had to read those paragraphs twice. Are you really sure that a Raspi 2 overclocked to 1 GHz is able to transcode for Plex? Or even the Odroid XU4, is it really able to transcode for 2 clients simultaneously? What kind of clients are you using? Could you please confirm this? Or anybody in the forum?

You read that correctly. I used a handful of clients including ADT-1, nexus player, web player, and chromecast.

'top' on the XU4 board while transcoding 1 movie

Code
    Tasks: 210 total,   1 running, 209 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    %Cpu(s):  7.5 us,  7.9 sy,  0.0 ni, 84.5 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.2 si,  0.0 st
    KiB Mem:   2038756 total,  1777580 used,   261176 free,    71568 buffers
    KiB Swap:        0 total,        0 used,        0 free,  1098124 cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S  %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                                                                     
    30324 plex      20   0  103m 9236 3448 S  29.4  0.5   0:22.77 Plex New Transc                                                             
     5332 plex      20   0  356m  81m 7580 S   9.0  4.1 166:19.11 Plex Media Serv

Here's top while transcoding 2 videos to 2 different clients

Code
    Tasks: 211 total,   1 running, 210 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    %Cpu(s):  5.7 us,  2.9 sy,  0.0 ni, 91.0 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.4 si,  0.0 st
    KiB Mem:   2038756 total,  1741828 used,   296928 free,    71920 buffers
    KiB Swap:        0 total,        0 used,        0 free,  1074272 cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S  %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                                                                     
     5332 plex      20   0  396m  89m 7672 S  29.4  4.5 166:48.06 Plex Media Serv                                                             
     7086 plex      20   0  102m 9060 3460 S  15.2  0.4   0:16.09 Plex New Transc                                                             
    30324 plex      20   0  103m 9236 3448 S   3.6  0.5   0:37.84 Plex New Transc
  • Sweet!!!!!

That might well be my next home server. Chances are that the power consumption is below my current Atom-based setup, but with much more muscle. Thanks for the clarification. Now I'll have to wait for the prices to drop. The XU4 costs around 100€ with shipping here in Germany.

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

• It seems like I can get it directly from HardKernel for $74 + $19 shipping (including the 5V 4A PSU) which roughly translates to 85€. Tempting, tempting, but nut sure. I was thinking to get a AM1 based system (Athlon 5350), but the XU4 made me reconsider it.

Custom mini-ITX build

• There are a couple things I haven't gotten to work yet because this is an arm cpu. Its pretty much a no-go for hosting virtualbox VMs on the NAS. And right out of the box, plex refuses to transcode any videos on arm. The guide I linked in the first post shows how to edit the javascript in plex so it will attempt to transcode, but I think that guide is incomplete. Plex will transcode just audio and video fine. When I try to watch a mkv with subtitles in it, enabling the subtitles make plex go back to showing its "the server is not powerful enough..." message. I believe that the server is plenty powerful enough, and with the correct edits to plex's javascript, it would handle those movies just fine.

But, this is only a small edge case for me. I only have a small handful of movies with external subtitles. To watch these, I have Kodi installed on the client and pull the files with smb or nfs.

• I really don´t think the xu4 should be considered as a vbox host. But I can understand that this is a downside for someone. Regarding the transcode: I would love to have a switch to decide by my own if transcoding should be on or off. But actually I don´t even need it. All my hardware does support direct play - Samsung TV with Plex App, FireTV (stick), RasPi with Plex...
    Instead of upgrading or buying a new more powerfull server which also drains more power, I´d rather buy a 35$ RasPi and use it as a MediaCenter.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!