Rsync seems to unmount the source drive

• Hello everybody,

I apologize if this was answered before already; my searches didn't find any thread quite exactly like the issue I have (or maybe I don't know what keywords to use).

I'm having a rather strange problem with copying data from my previous drives into my new OMV NAS (OMV 2.1.18 Stone Burner running on a box: Fractal Node 304 & AsRock FM2-A88X-ITX+ & AMD A4-6300 & 6x WD Red 4TB set in a RAID6 pool using ext4).
    What I did was plug one of the previous 2TB WDC Green drives into an USB port of my NAS (via a SATA-to-USB adapter) in order to try and copy the data to the NAS.
    The drive was recognized and appeared in the list of physical drives in the web interface of OMV.
    By the way, all the previous drives use NTFS (as they began being used under Windows first).

• First attempt to copy the data was done via the web interface by using Rsync.
      - I mounted the old drive via the web interface, added it as shared folder so that Rsync would see then launched an Rsync job. It appeared to start correctly but after a short while it stopped with an error saying that the file which it was copying at the moment "has vanished".
      - When checking the drive again in the web interface it appeared as "unmounted".
      - After multiple re-mounts and attempts to run Rsync it became clear that every time when Rsync is running at some point, shortly after the job started the drive was unmounted.

The strange part in all this is that if I went via ssh on the NAS box and checked inside /proc/mounts I could still see a line that showed my NTFS drive as mounted but when I was going inside /media and did a ls on the mount folder (which is a sort of big number, really) it was telling me each time: "Input/output error"

• After the above, I've said: OK, I'll try to go CLI on this and see what gives.
      - Mounted the drive manually via
      Code
      mount -t ntfs /dev/sdh1 /media/sata2000b

- Run rsync with

Code
      rsync -avWP /media/sata2000b /media/0b5277a9-8280-49dc-8450-51d98c5b278f

where the last one is the folder under which OMV mounted my RAID pool; the results are the same, rsync complains about vanished files:

Zitat

WARNING: Holy.Weapon.1993.Dual.608x368.mkv failed verification -- update discarded (will try again).
      file has vanished: "/media/sata2000b/Holy.Weapon.1993.Dual.608x368.mkv"
      sent 1986287804 bytes received 18825 bytes 30325292.05 bytes/sec
      total size is 39330873281 speedup is 19.80
      rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1070) [sender=3.0.9]

Of course, after this error, if I try to ls the source folder I get an "Input/output error" as well whereas previous to running rsync it actually shows the contents of the mounted drive.

Is there some obvious thing that, as a noob, I'm missing here?
    Or does this require more in-depth analysis?

Of course, I'm willing to provide any info or details that may be needed if you have any insight on this.
    Thanks in advance. :)

• You're right, I've used all 6 SATA ports for the data RAID and then plugged the OS drive in the eSATA port in the back, so all there's left is USB or network.
    At present the first drive is being copied via the network (plugged into my laptop via USB) but it's been copying at a snail pace of around 17MB/s since yesterday evening and it's only 67% through crunching the 1.8 TiB of data on that drive.

Anyway, you seem to be totally right about the USB failure (thanks for the dmesg suggestion btw); as the output of dmesg -T gives the following, over and over (as I've tried multiple times re-mounting and rsync-ing in a short time period):

I don't know if that gives any indication on the reason why USB fails; I guess that tomorrow once this drive hopefully finishes copying I'll try plugging it into a different USB port (one of those in the back which are provided directly by the mobo).
    At least now it's clear that it's some sort of hardware/driver failure, so thanks for helping on that.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!