• Offizieller Beitrag

The FreeNAS comparison is either very out of date or just plain wrong on a lot of categories.

Quite a few of the comparisons are about zfs and ignore the fact that OMV has a zfs plugin.

It says third party plugins are command line only. I have no idea why that is since omv-extras can be installed using the web interface.

We do have a syncthing and mediabrowser plugin even though it says no.

I also like how it only lists plugins it has instead of the many plugins that OMV has and it doesn't.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Also, FreeNAS 'advanced UI' but OMV only 'UI'?
    Come on guys, they're basically the same (tho I prefer OMV). Having said that, upcoming FreeNAS 10 might change the game.

I find some bits of FreeNAS confusing - shares as Windows or Unix and what that does to permissions. I came to OMV from Windows Home Server and considered both FreeNAS and OMV, basically OMV won because it was Linux and Debian - so much more flexible, for me. The FreeNAS (and some at OMV probably too) response to this would be it's a NAS, it's not meant to be flexible cos you might break it. That or, use a Debian jail.

In the end it's horses for courses, if I was considering a NAS for work, I would definitely do FreeNAS (probably a supported one from iXsystems at that), but for a home server/NAS, OMV is much more fun.

• Offizieller Beitrag

They also neglect to mention that FreeNAS is a commerically backed project. Why even compare number of developers when you have paid developers. That said, I've been using OMV for work for years with no issues.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Also find it slightly strange that the article is on the FreeNAS site - was expecting a link to a forum post or something.
    Interesting to read the comparison, but I would much rather read (trust) something like that from an independent third party (e.g. the reviews of FreeNAS and NAS4Free on Ars Technica not so long ago - wish they had covered OMV too), so definitely don't think 'we' should have a similar post.

• It has prompted me to make a donation to OMV though! Now that I am committed to it as my NAS OS, it's definitely worth it (actually it's worth much more, of course, but you know... perhaps my code contributions can also be seen as appreciation in kind!)

• I didn't think the 1st article was that bad. The comparison thing on FreeNAS though.... I hate FreeNAS.

MediaBrowser's name was changed to Emby about 7 months ago.... We have an Emby plugin.
    There is a Kerberos plugin for OMV.
    Uh, what about Docker?
    OMV works on more architectures.

Linux based FTW !!!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!