Dell Dimension 3000 Ideas?

• Greetings,

I have an old Dell Dimension 3000 desktop with a Celeron 2.4GHz, 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD (IDE) that I am just going to recycle or do something with OMV if possible. I read the user manual and it looks like too much of a pain to add an additional hard drive because I'd have to buy two new large IDE drives and get a special cable to make one of them a slave.

If I were to somehow make a NAS out of this I would like at least 1TB of storage. I'd be willing to put $100.00-$150.00 into it.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it or let me know if it's just time to recycle it.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can try and buy sata pci cards (around 20-30 dollars). That way you can use bigger disks. Speed would not be good i guess.
    For OS system i would use probably a usb stick (if the bios is allowed to boot from usb). If not i guess you can use an old ide drive just for grub (to point to the stick) or OS simply.

• Thanks for the tips. I checked and this computer can in fact boot from USB. It has 3 PCI slots that are not PCI express on the motherboard.

I'm wondering now if I could install OMV on the 40GB IDE drive already there and then add one PCI dual SATA card with two more hard drives for storage and do a RAID 1? It looks like the two drives would cost just over $100 and the PCI cards are about $30.

I'm not sure if the motherboard would support the PCI card with two SATA drives so I'll see if I can get that information.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

• Ok, it looks like I can do some work with the PCI card and SATA drives. Here is a thread I found with someone doing something similar but they had to flash a particular BIOS: http://en.community.dell.com/s…desktop/f/3514/t/19340517

I'm starting to like the idea of installing OMV on the 40GB IDE drive and then just adding 2 SATA drives from the PCI card that you recommended.

Let me know if you think this is a good option. thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!