How to use OMV with openVPN as proxy

• Hi guys,

I got a NAS and a PC at home. My NAS is running OMV as OS (which runs flawlessly btw!). I live in germany and my ISP is Deutsche Telekom so in the evening youtube and twitch are very slow because they're having peering problems etc.
    I got a VPN for that which is working great but my problem is that I don't want all my traffic to go through the VPN (for example when I'm playing online and watching youtube/twitch at the same time).
    My idea is to install openVPN on my NAS (which isn't a problem) and using it (my NAS) in chrome as a proxy so only my browser data runs through the VPN.

My question is: how do I use omv as a proxy in my local network when it's connectec to a vpn? Can anyone hint me in the right direction?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is pure guessing, but you can try and establish a ssh with a socks proxy to your omv in lan. The socks proxy values can be entered easily in the browser without affecting the whole system in Firefox.
    From there you would need to work on ip rules in omv v to force traffic with source address of Your laptop to use the vpn.
    This could introduce problems since is possible lan traffic might be forced through the vpn gateway. Something to try. You can also go and ask at openvpn freenode channel.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Some post got lost from when the server was down, this is from the openvpn factoid

""routebyapp" is (#1) if you want to send only certain apps over the VPN you need to run a socks server on the internal VPN subnet (see !sockd) then get an app like proxifier (windows, osx) or tsocks (linux, BSD) to selectively route traffic over the socks proxy based on port/app/subnet or any combination. or (#2) Alternatively, read up about Policy Routing to make routing decisions based on defined policies you set. For Linux, read about !lartc"

• On my NAS the hole internet traffic can go through the VPN. That's no issue. Only the LAN traffic shouldn't use the VPN which can be achieved by selecting "outgoing interface" as tunnel in openVPN so I have been told. Unfortunately I don't have the time to try it out at the moment. As soon as I come to test it out I'll post the resulsts here.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!