Bottleneck for Samba after a few seconds of transfer. Network & Sata tested

• I've been investigating this issue for a while as my Samba speeds drop after 5seconds when I switched from an Intel setup to AMD. Same PCIE controllers but the CPU is a lower power Kabini 5150 AM1 processor and an Intel 1000 pro PCIE NIC is used. I've seen people use weaker processors with no issues though. I've tested hard drive write/read speeds using "dd" ~180mb/s write and ~100mb/s read, also used iperf to test the network ~930Mbps

Screen captures attached to show:
    a. SMB to Windows transfer speed starts at 90Mb/s then drops to half after ~5Seconds, sometimes as low as 30Mb/s
    b. CPU usage. Top shows ~45%, GUI shows ~25% oddly

I'm using OMV 2.0 with the updated backport kernel. Already using the SMB options recommended on this forum. Anything else worth trying?

• Under the SMB/CIFS extra option in OMV, try one of this protocol:

max protocol = SMB2

or

max protocol = SMB3

If you using a Windows, turn off SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support option under Turn Windows features on or off.

Post your result.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Holy crap, uninstalling SMB 1.0 on my Windows machines just gave me about 30 MB/s bump in speed.

It would sometimes go down to 80 MB/s and with this change it is sustained at about 110 MB/s. Nice change!

• Holy crap, uninstalling SMB 1.0 on my Windows machines just gave me about 30 MB/s bump in speed.

It would sometimes go down to 80 MB/s and with this change it is sustained at about 110 MB/s. Nice change!

How did you do that and what version of Windows do you use.

Edit: Have fund it. But now i can't browse to my Openmediavalt in explorer by doing this:

Code
    \\ip_of_server

I am running Windows 10 Pro

• I am able to browse the server Samba share with explorer without problem. However, in the past (last half-dozen years) I know that at times Samba can be finicky about browsing the top level and it is sometimes easier to start by navigating to a share \\ip_of_server\shared_folder before going to the top level. I'm not sure why I sometimes have problems and they typically self-remedy or can't be reproduced.

2x Windows 10 Pro, 1x Windows 8.1 Pro

I am using a backported version of samba (4.1.17+dfsg-1~bpo70+1). And I also added these two lines to my /etc/samba/smb.conf file:
    client max protocol = SMB3
    server max protocol = SMB3

• I could probably get rid of the extra lines in my smb.conf setting SMB3:
    client max protocol = SMB3
    server max protocol = SMB3

https://www.samba.org/samba/do…anpages-3/smb.conf.5.html
    "Default: client max protocol = SMB3"
    "Default: server max protocol = SMB3"
    "Normally this option should not be set as the automatic negotiation phase in the SMB protocol takes care of choosing the appropriate protocol."

"max protocol => This parameter is a synonym for server max protocol."

Although I wonder if using the option "server min protocol = SMB2" wouldn't have the same effect as removing SMB 1 from the Windows clients.

• Sure, up to you, but it actually only took about 5 minutes to do after I had done my personal testing. Backports are the least risky way of getting updated functionality into older distributions. I've had 0 issues after figuring out that the recycle bin needed an additional package to be installed.

Boils down to:

Code
    Add line (/etc/apt/sources.list):  deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy-backports main
    apt-get update
    apt-get -t wheezy-backports install samba
    apt-get install samba-vfs-modules

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!