Mount only the users home folder and make it read only

• Hi,

I am very new to OMV but I really like it so far! I'm trying to setup my FTP Server in a way that the different users can only see their own "home" folder and also have no writing permission. They should be able only to download the files inside. As admin I will provide them files to download.

I have the FTP service up and running, but can only see the general shares I set up for testing. The home folder of the user is not visible at all. I can see the home folder through Samba and the option to "create a home folder for each user" is also active.

I hope someone can help me to figure this out. I would prefer to do it only in the GUI, but if I need to edit some files then please also tell me which tools I need for that and how to edit the files.

Thanks a lot!

• thanks. it is convenient to use the system home folders because they are automatically created but maybe i will use the second solution because i do not need to edit something in the code. if i create a folder "share" and in this folder all the other folders based on the username (share/user1, share/user2 etc)... will the users see all folders (user1, user2) or only the one they have access to?

• my problem is, that i do not see the home folder when connecting to the FTP server. Through windows explorer and Samba i see that the folder exists and i can put some files there, but when i access through filezilla this folder is not there and neither are the files.

How can I mount the users specific home folder? I did not find any setting in the FTP interface. Only in "users" i can activate to automatically create home folders.

• Offizieller Beitrag

my problem is, that i do not see the home folder when connecting to the FTP server. Through windows explorer and Samba i see that the folder exists and i can put some files there, but when i access through filezilla this folder is not there and neither are the files.

Have you added the variable as mentioned in the other thread?
    have you reloaded engined?
    Have you remake the proftpd conf (omv-mkconf proftpd) and restart FTP?

How can I mount the users specific home folder? I did not find any setting in the FTP interface. Only in "users" i can activate to automatically create home folders.

If you're going towards that path you need to pick each home folder as a share. So if you select this folder /media/<uuid>/home to be used as home folders then all home folder will be like

/media/<uuid>/home/john
    /media/<uuid>/home/steve
    etc, you pick each share and put them in FTP

If the users were already created before you set up that, then the home folders will remain at /home/john probably, you need to edit /etc/passwd or delete an create the user again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!