Plex Media Server

• Thanks for this guide which worked perfectly.

PLEX was just what I was looking for. I now have a great UI on my Samsung Smart TV's including all Metadata and Artwork, it is amazing.

It also works great with the IOS App and I can stream from 3G etc or Syncronise to my iPhone for offline viewing.

My OMV now effectively is a Media PC aswell and as its on 24x7 already this is a great addition.

• Here is another site that installed Plex into OMV,

https://linuxpluse.wordpress.c…ver-as-home-media-server/

@tekkbebe I don't know if they copied yours or if they did it on their own.

• I'm doing things on my own..... I like to understand how things work before I put them on my machine. No trusting other people's big scripts here. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The credit for getting this going on Debian belongs to some guys on the plex forum. Here is where I found the Debian install and just altered it by installing curl.

http://forums.plexapp.com/inde…server-debian-repository/

So a thanks should go to Moxz and some other guys over on plex forums.

Dave, I looked at that link. I would recommend sticking with apt, rather than aptitiude, for package management. In that link he used aptitude. Anyone reading you should use apt-get to install plex.

• Hi,

I've the following error massage while installing plex:

Code
    root@NAS:~# apt-get install plexmediaserver
    Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
    Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut
    Statusinformationen werden eingelesen... Fertig
    E: Paket plexmediaserver kann nicht gefunden werden

Does everyone know something about this issue ?

• Did you add the repository mentioned in the first post? otherwise you can't find the package.

Also don't forget to add the repository key and to use 'apt-get update' before you try to install it.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I'm glad you took a look at the link as your review of it was what I was hoping. I know how you know OMV inside out and I will use your method as I will be building a third OMV box to handle Plex, actually my son wants it. Thanks for your tips.

• No offense factro but your post in that link is one of the reasons I did a how to posting. It is preferable to not have plex media server running via the root user. Many had shown an interest and I did not want a lot of people to screw up their installs. There was a mishmash of postings here and I wanted to provide clarity. They had worked out the bugs in the repo that Moxz was hosting so I verified it was working correctly and made my post. People were not installing curl on OMV and that was the key to making it work with their repo. There are many Debian How Tos out there but OMV might be missing requisite packages.

• Hey Guys,

i tried it out but i seem to have a problem with the Webinterface, it simply shows nothing but the plex logo:
    i googled but i had no luck so far, where the problem could be. Any hints?

Greetings
    David

Bilder

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Whatever browser is the default on your machine is the one you should use. The other browsers will likely not be defaults for certain file types. Try it on another machine or different browser.

• I tried it from Chrome, Firefox and IE. Also from iPads Safari and iPhones Safari+Mercury Browser. I even tried chromium on my server itself via xrdp/openbox...

tail -f log...:

a bit more of the log afterwards:

Greetings
    David

• edith:

Code
    root@chap:~# service plexmediaserver
    Usage: /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver {start|stop|restart|status}
    root@chap:~# service plexmediaserver status
    exec: 129: status: not found

but

Code
    root@chap:~# /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver status
    Plex Media Server process running.
    root@chap:~#

and

Code
    root@chap:~# /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver restart
    Killing Plex Media Server: done
    Starting Plex Media Server: done

Greetings
    David

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von davidh2k ()

• No luck either. And look @ my ediths above.

Greetings
    David

• Code
    root@chap:~# apt-get -f install
    Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
    Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut
    Statusinformationen werden eingelesen... Fertig
    0 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 1 nicht aktualisiert.

Iam rebooting now...

Greetings
    David

• Still no luck even after reboot:

Code
    root@chap:~# /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver status
    Plex Media Server process running.

... running dry here.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!