Plex Media Server

• ******ATTENTION******** There is a 3rd Party Plugin now for .5 OMV. Use it to install PMS if you are using .5 OMV.

Some people have shown an interest so I thought I'd give some instructions....
    The line in the code box is one command. Be sure you get it all if you are copying and pasting.
    To install on OMV using root session in command line:

apt-get install curl

Code
    echo "deb http://shell.ninthgate.se/packages/debian squeeze main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

curl http://shell.ninthgate.se/packages/shell-ninthgate-se-keyring.key | sudo apt-key add -

apt-get update
    apt-get install plexmediaserver

then you can access the web interface at:

http://ipofyouromv:32400/manage

*** ATTN: There are some minor install issues with versions 9.7.28-33. See my post here: Link **
    ***ATTN: Ownership issues now fixed in Plex Pass version 9.8.2.82***

OMv ports that need to be opened if you are using a firewall:

Ports to open on LAN
    TCP 32400 (discovery service Plex Media Server) [required]
    UDP 1900 (discovery service for Plex DLNA Server) [required for PC, Android, standard DLNA clients]
    TCP 32469 (for access to the Plex DLNA Server)
    UDP 5353 (discovery service Plex DLNA Server for Bonjour/Avahi) [required for Apple clients]

Ports to open for remote viewing (.i.e WAN)
    TCP 32400 (only need to port range forward this port from your router to your OMV for remote access)
    See this post for further steps to enable remote viewing: Link

If you are using a small system drive you should move your Plex home folder (Library, metadata, etc..) to a data drive with these intructions:

/etc/init.d/plexmediaserver stop
    usermod -d /media/UUID/plexmediaserver -m plex (where UUID is the filesystem of the data drive to which you want to move the home folder)
    /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver start

You should not need to chown or change any permissions. That's it.

** Plex Pass members look at my post here ** Link

• Thanks tekkbebe for this guide. I installed plex and it's working great just had to include the plex group in the acl settings for my media collection.

However the transcoding does not work at all. I believe that ffmpeg is required for the transcoding however it does not install ffmpeg.

Am I missing something in order for transcoding to work ?

• i have not used enough personally. plex is not perfect but they are really doing some interesting things. you can however install ffmpeg:

apt-get install ffmpeg

not sure if it will have an effect on transcoding for plex. when i have time i will experiment with it more.

• I got transcoding working on my Android 4.0.4 but it won't work on my Android 4.1.1 tablet.

Certain codecs like the .mkv also tend to freeze up playing every few seconds. Yet when I try direct play with a .mkv codec it does not work. Direct play on codecs like .avi work fine. I have no idea how to stop the constant freezing while in transcoding mode..maybe a buffer issue.

I verified the load on the the server and it is very low when it transcodes about 1% to 5% cpu. I guess I'm missing a module for my tablet but don't know which one I need.

• FFmpeg is not required for plex to work for transcoding. It seems that transcoding is built into plex. I need to read up some more and how it transcodes and if there are any buffer settings that can be adjusted.

• Hi,

Thinking of giving Plex a go whirl (briefly looked at it on Windows Server a year or so ago), though a little scared to upset my now pretty-perfect OMV install (serving several XBMC clients).

Is there an "uninstall" you can document in this thread should I wish/need to remove?

Cheers, S

• Many thanks - with this additional knowledge I may well give it a go!

Did you 'upgrade'/progress to Plex from a multi install XBMC using a centralised MySQL db? While I initially preferred the simplicity of Plex I was forced down the XBMC route due to my old NAS hardware not having the horsepower capable to run Plex, however I've now arrived at a solution I'm mostly happy with. Having not long ago moved to a new NAS platform (and using OMV which I'm very happy with - just AD integration missing for me!) I now have the option to move to Plex.

One additional question I have: while I know Plex offers a wealth of back end capabilities, how current/up-to-date are the front end clients compared to Eden/Frodo etc? I realise they are forks in the XBMC codebase but how current are they kept?

Thanks in advance!

• As for the clients, I've used the following:
    The web interface
    The Android Client
    The PC Client
    The Roku Client

They all work well and seem up to date. I've seen a PS3 client but that seemed a bit behind these I've mentioned. The video was old thought so perhaps the issues I saw are no longer applicable.

I can't comment on XBMC as I've never used it.

• Hi tekkbebe,

actually I like the plex media server. However, I am not able to get it connected to the local samba share of greyhole (/mnt/samba/Musik) no matter what I do to the ACL.
    Any tips for me?

Thanks Chris

• Well, as I mentioned, I am using the openmediavault-greyhole plugin. I set up an internal samba share, to make sure that all data going in and out from greyhole do this in a consistent way via samba. I got it working as you suggested and as long plex is not writing any data to /media /UIUID/.... I'm good.

• my plex media server has the wrong ip address.
    this means i have 2 networkcards. each in another network.
    plax was so nice to took the one that has no connection to the internet.
    how am i able to set it to the other one so i can share my server ?

disk

HP-Proliant Microserver Gen8 | omv = always latest | 64 bit | 1x3TB ,3x4TB , 1x500GB HDD for Boot | omvextrasorg = latest | HP P212| Plugins = NUT, HWRaid, luksencryption OMV extras

• Hi,

Thanks for the great info getting this installed, i only have the following problem when connecting to the webgui it opens fine after the install, but i can't seem to save any setings?
    Is there an extra step needed for access rights to save the config?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!