Upgrading from RPi2 to full blown "NAS"

• I am currently using a Raspberry Pi 2 as a very basic NAS/Media Server/Usenet Downloader set up. I just have it set up as a SMB share with NABGet, CouchPotato, and Sonarr scripts running. I have 2 External HDD hooked up to it, a 5TB Seagate Expansion, and a 2TB WD Passport. I use other Raspberry Pi 2's as my frontends loaded with OpenElec.

My current set up works pretty well for my needs, but my biggest concerns are the limited bandwidth of the Raspberry Pi 2 being that its 10/100 and shares with USB, and am also iffy with having my media on external HDD's that are obviously not made for 24/7 use. I also sometimes, albeit rarely get buffering issues when serving up some of my higher quality files.

I want to stress that my build is not going to be holding any sort of critical data, I also am not going to be backing up any of my local machines to this. Obviously losing a 4TB of media would suck, but it can be replaced. I'm just looking to lessen the chance of that happening and also looking for a cleaner build all contained within a single box. All this build needs to do is be able to serve up my media, as well as be able to run NZBGet, Sonarr, and CouchPotato.

Here is a build I have put together:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock AM1H-ITX Mini ITX AM1 Motherboard ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury White 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($19.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.00 @ B&H)
    Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.00 @ B&H)
    Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($57.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $575.94
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-15 16:11 EST-0500

Will this be able to pull the weight for what I need to do? Also would it be possible for me to load Kodi on this box for my living room HTPC, as opposed to having this box plus a raspberry pi 2 in my cabinet.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated as this is definitely new territory for me. Thanks in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

That setup will working nicely as a NAS. Don't go down the path of trying to use it for an HTPC too. Use the RPi2 you are freeing up. It isn't that big to add to the cabinet and much more efficient as playing video (less energy use).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yeah, I just figured it would be bonus points to use it as a HTPC also, but yeah, the PI's have served me great so far.

Is loading NZBGet, Couchpotato and Sonarr beside OMV very dificult? If I've read correctly OMV is just loaded over Debian Wheezy yes?

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is a plugin for all three of those. So, it is very easy once you install omv-extras and enable the Download Managers repo.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!