SMB Recycle Bin on mergerfs pool share not working

• I recently switched my disk pool to mergerfs. Now I realized that the recycle bin stopped working on my smb shares.

SW-Status:
    openmediavault/stoneburner uptodate 2.1.20
    openmediavault-unionfilesystems/stoneburner uptodate 2.3

What I did to reproduce:

• Create shared folder on mergerfs pool
    • Give permissions to a user through a group
    • Create samba share on this shared folder.
    • Enable recycle bin
    • Enable inherited permissions
    • Create a file on the share
    • Delete the file

Expected behavior: File moved to share/.recycle/username/file.xyz
    Actual behavior: share/.recycle/username is created, but stays empty.

Why I think this has sth. to do with mergerfs? When I create an analog share directly on a disk and not on the pool, the file is correctly moved to the recycle bin as expected. To give all the details: The disk on which I created the direct share is still part of the pool. However, I am not very experienced with OMV so I do not rule out a general misconfiguration.

Second non-deterministic deletion issue:
    While analyzing the issue above I sometimes I had the issue with files not being deleted at all. I observed this the last time even on the not-pool share. The deleted file disappeared on the client side while it was actually never deleted on the server. If you refresh the client's view the file is still present. I then restarted the smb daemon and out of a sudden the file was moved to the .recycle bin. I was not able to reproduce this scenario deterministically.

• Have you checked the logs? I suspect Samba is expecting that a share is a single drive which mergerfs does not currently represent. That is... rename returns EXDEV. I'm betting that Samba is creating the directory path and then tries to `rename` the file into that path. Mergerfs returns EXDEV and then it just gives up. It should be performing a move but probably isn't.

I'm going to be putting out a new version of mergerfs soon which will handle this better but EXDEV is a totally legit return value and I will limit when it's returned but not entirely.

• Thanks for investigating @trapexit. Indeed you are absolutely right. I set the "log level" and "debug level" to 10 after your hint. In parallel I tried to find out what Samba is doing. I found some documentation that it hooks the unlink function. I checked out the source code of samba and searched for recycling functionality. Inside the vfs_recycle.c I found the corresponding actions.

The log file revealed exactly what you assumed:

Code
    [2015/12/19 19:41:19.986667, 10] modules/vfs_recycle.c:609(recycle_unlink)
      recycle: recycled file name: .recycle/ruben///unke.odg
    [2015/12/19 19:41:19.987103, 10] modules/vfs_recycle.c:640(recycle_unlink)
      recycle: Moving unke.odg to .recycle/ruben///unke.odg
    [2015/12/19 19:41:19.987471,  3] modules/vfs_recycle.c:646(recycle_unlink)
      recycle: Move error 18 (Ungültiger Link über Gerätegrenzen hinweg), purging file unke.odg (.recycle/ruben///unke.odg)

According to /usr/include/asm-generic/errno-base.h 18 is exactly EXDEV. I looked into the source and it reads:

Code
    DEBUG(10, ("recycle: Moving %s to %s\n", smb_fname_str_dbg(smb_fname),
            smb_fname_str_dbg(smb_fname_final)));
        rc = SMB_VFS_NEXT_RENAME(handle, smb_fname, smb_fname_final);

So obviously you are right in that it calls rename only. I looked into the source code of gnu mv and found a comment that they copy in case a rename does not succeed exactly for the reason you listed (EXDEV). I'll try to contact folks from samba to ask them why this only uses rename. Seems to be a bit naive.

PS: Just to have it linked in both directions: See also Issue 182 on mergerfs github.

• Thanks for investigating. I hadn't had the chance yet but when it comes to moving files around lots of software fail to hand EXDEV correctly. As I said I'm trying to handle it better in a future version of mergerfs.

I'm trying to provide a hybrid solution which doesn't just straight up replicate the unlink target, copy files, unlink source that mv does on EXDEV.

If not using a path preserving policy then I'll just clone the target path on the source drive and rename. If a path preserving policy is being used try the rename; if it fails but a create would end up on that drive, clone the path on the source drive from target and then rename. If all that fails then return EXDEV.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!