OMV Reboots on Shutdown after upgrade from Sardaukar to Stone Burner

• Happy new year :)

I was thinking that the problem was related with specific hardware/components... but as I see here and on Internet, it isn't.
    I saw a few posts where people got this problem five years ago (ubuntu 12.04) !
    For some of them, disabling WOL resolved the problem.
    I saw other posts which recommends to add something into grub config file... or new systemd services or scripts...

I tried most of them, none works.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is hardware related. There are plenty of manufacturers/boards/etc that have incomplete and/or bad ACPI implementations that can cause this issue. Not much you can do unless the manufacturer fixes the bios.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yeah the editing of grub, etc. didnt work for me also, but this helps:

Code
    apt-get install laptop-mode-tools
  • Hmm... well, it's weird.
    If I was the only one having this bug on an old computer, happy to have a WOL function on certainly one of the first GB onboard Marvell controller...
    Ok, no Luck...

But as I see on other forums, it's something like a common bug : there are many components, old, recents, cheap, expensive that have this bug.

I think that if it was a Hardware/BIOS related problem, in ten years it Would be resolved...

There must be something else. If it was only a BIOS bug, pc would keep restarting after shutdown. But after the reboot, shutdown works fine...

PS : laptop-mode-tools does not change anything for me

Thanks

Envoyé de mon FRD-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

• Offizieller Beitrag

But as I see on other forums, it's something like a common bug : there are many components, old, recents, cheap, expensive that have this bug.

I think that if it was a Hardware/BIOS related problem, in ten years it Would be resolved...

There must be something else. If it was only a BIOS bug, pc would keep restarting after shutdown. But after the reboot, shutdown works fine...

It really is just a bios problem. Manufacturers choose how they create their ACPI implementation. There are plenty of manufacturers that don't care if their product(s) work with Linux. So, this isn't a bios bug really. It is Linux not wanting to support every single incomplete/customized/buggy/whatever ACPI implementation.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Thanks,

In my case, a bad/creepy/old/shitty/.../ BIOS may be thé problem.

I did some changes about ACPI (tried to disable it as well as some power management options...) At boot, OMV gives me some errors [Firmware bug] BIOS [ ...] Problem

Make sure that AMD cool and quiet Is enabled [...]...

For my computer, You're certainly right but I have some doubt about nuttah's Dell T20 which is certainly less than one year old and has i think UEFI and less bugs than my old e380

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is a lot of T20 owners reporting problems even with the 4.8 kernel. All I can think is Dell must have done something different with its uefi to appease microsoft.

• There must be a solution or at least a bandaid (even if it's a BIOS bug, i'm pretty sure that There Is a way to override it...)
    Especially if the problem does not appear with Windows and/or the computer shutdown normally a second Time --> it's capable to do it...

If at a second Time the computer shutdown properly (via WebGUI or shutdown -h now), there Is no reason that it can't do the same thing at a first Time.

Perhaps checking logs will help to find a weird thing...

Idea : Maybe, when we send a Magic packet, it "stays" over the system and then when we shutdown, the NIC see/receive the packet and it restarts the computer of course...

The second boot uses this packet, then when we shutdown it works, and it does not restarts because There Is no more packet...

It's not a major problem but if it can be corrected ^^

• T20 WOL Shutdown after reboot Problem is solved. :)

Deactivate the USB 3.0 Settings in Bios and its working :-).

My actual Bios (Version A05) Settings are:
    -NIC on - only LAN
    -DeepSleep off
    -WOL on - only LAN

i will test the Settings with DeepSleep S4/s5 an with other Bios Versions. :rolleyes:

I will send an email to the dell support. But hopefully this can be fixed with a bios update. ?(

• Offizieller Beitrag

hopefully this can be fixed with a bios update

Probably can be fixed but never know if it will be fixed. Hopefully they listen. There has to be a lot of people running Linux on this server.

• Heya nuttah,

I just try to follow your mini guide ;-). Where in the BIOS settings did you deactivate the USB 3.0 settings/support?

Thanks!!

• With disabled usb 3.0 at the dell t20 the shutdown command is working!
    Cheers Robert

Heya nuttah,
    I just try to follow your mini guide ;-). Where in the BIOS settings did you deactivate the USB 3.0 settings/support?

Thanks!!

Please see attached picture

Bilder

OMV 5.x always up to date.
    Modded dell t20 into 19" rack case with Pearl LCD Display (Status Display!)

xeon e3-1225v3 / 32GB RAM / 1x500GB WD Blue SSD (OS) / 1x250 SSD (not used) / 1x1 TB Toshiba HHD (MultiDisk) / 4x 4TB WD40EFRX (Raid5)

• With disabled usb 3.0 at the dell t20 the shutdown command is working!Cheers Robert

Please see attached picture

Thanks, just did, will move now the USB thumb drive where I have OMV installed to the other ports and hopefully it will work. Does anyone know why there is the correlation between the WOL and USB 3.0? Are they both on the same bus?

• i'm completely new with uefi.
    Is it the normal way to add the kernel boot parameter?
    edit /etc/default/grub
    update-grub

Cheers Robert

xeon e3-1225v3 / 32GB RAM / 1x500GB WD Blue SSD (OS) / 1x250 SSD (not used) / 1x1 TB Toshiba HHD (MultiDisk) / 4x 4TB WD40EFRX (Raid5)

• i'm completely new with uefi.
    Is it the normal way to add the kernel boot parameter?
    edit /etc/default/grub
    update-grub

Cheers Robert

Yes, that´s correct.

Code
    nano /etc/default/grub
    #look for this line an add it
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet xhci_hcd.quirks=270336"
    #save and update grub
    update-grub
  • Yes, that´s correct.

Code
    nano /etc/default/grub
    #look for this line an add it
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet xhci_hcd.quirks=270336"
    #save and update grub
    update-grub

Thanks, worked fine with me!!

How do you normally make use of WoL with the T20? Which program do you use and do you have/use different IPs for the Intel AMT interface and OMV? I tried so far WoL2 and it seems like this is causing some issues.

Thanks!

• 1. We have only Androids at my home so we use this app.2. For AMT I use MeshCommander. And yes the IP for AMT and OMV are diffrent.

Are you able to connect to the console by intelamt?
    I want to connect the console by intelamt on osx.

I found this "After booting with the additional kernel parameter console=ttyS1,115200n8, I was able to use amtterm to connect to the computer:"
    Over here https://blog.philippklaus.de/2…0-with-xeon-e3-1225v3-cpu

He changed the boot option with this parameter:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet pci=assign-busses console=tty0 console=ttyS1,115200n8"

I'm have no idea why he add the three commands after quiet.Can somebody explain me what i need to add to enable the console to intelamt?

BR Robert

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!