Receiving 2 e-mail upon *every* boot

• I receive two e-mails every time I boot the machine. Notification is enabled and I have disabled every item listed under the "Notifications" tab.

Code
    Title:  Anacron job 'cron.weekly' on OpenMediaVault [OpenMediaVault]
    /etc/cron.weekly/openmediavault-update-smart-drivedb:Updating smartmontools drive database .../usr/share/smartmontools/drivedb.h updated from branches/RELEASE_5_41_DRIVEDB

This one I've done the most to try to remove. What I've tried:
    - I went into the cron.weekly and edited the 'openmediavault-update-smart-drivedb' file. I commented out the comment "Updating smartmontools drive database ...". I rebooted and surprisingly the mail still contained the same text.
    - I permanently edited the update-smart-drivedb file to enact the sed changes on the file and commented out everything except to run "/usr/sbin/update-smart-drivedb >/dev/null". I rebooted and I still get the same e-mail.
    - I checked the system log and it only ran the cron.weekly once today (in the log I see it starts anacron but it only ran the cron.weekly on the first boot). So it doesn't seem that 'openmediavault-update-smart-drivedb' is being run multiple times.
    - Running anacron on the command line doesn't generate the e-mail.

I'm confused. I must be missing something here because after editing the text out of the file this message is persisting and getting e-mailed to me even when the weekly anacron items don't run.

Code
    Title:  Cron <root@OpenMediaVault> cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly [OpenMediaVault]
    /etc/cron.hourly/openmediavault-flushmailq:postsuper: Deleted: 1 message

This is also e-mailing every boot.

• I found how to fix it if not the exact reason for the issue. It was the installation settings I used with Debian 7.9.0 and OMV.

I used Solo's guide: Howto install OpenMediaVault on Debian 7.x (Wheezy)

But evidently I messed up the settings, probably with postfix if I were to guess. I reinstalled using the following and the e-mail issues now seem to be fixed.

• Having thought about this issue even more, I'm almost certain this is either a race-condition case from using the Flash Memory plugin or an incorrect copy back to disk of the log directory. There exists a certain period of time in between when the mounts are being setup and files copied over that a change at that exact instant would be lost. Also if the data isn't able to be copied back correctly the state will not be accurate.

If the real files have a pending send and they are replicated before the mail is sent, the replicated file will send and it will be reflected in the replicated files. If the replicated files aren't able to copied back to the real files it will send the old e-mail again and again.

I think something with the above permissions was preventing it from copying it back properly and thus it wasn't able to see that it had already sent the mail and was trapped into sending it over and over again at each boot when the real files were again replicated for the RAM drive.

Just to note, I still love the Flash Memory plugin and will continue to use it. I think it's a great compromise between wearing out your drive and potential log data loss. I was just relieved to finally figure out what was causing this.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!