Installation problem with NVMe drive

• Hi,
    i am trying to install OMV 2.1 on a machine with a NVMe device.
    During installation only a bootable USB drive that i made with rufus and the NVMe are connected.
    The installation routine successfully installs the network.
    After that i get the following error message:
    Partition(s) 1 on /dev/sda have been written; but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use. As a result the old partition(s) will remain in use.
    You should reboot now before doing further changes. ERROR!!!
    I do a rebbot as recommended and the system does no more boot from the USB drive.
    I don't get any prompt to choose a device to install on.

So i guess that /dev/sda is my USB drive and the installation routine does changes on it. This of course explains why it is in use and why i cannot boot from it afterwards. However i wonder why i cannot choose my intended installation device (the NVMe device) during installation.

Can someone please give me a hint how i can choose the intended device for installation? Whether i need to include an extra driver for the installation and if so where i can find a guid how to do it?

Thanks.

• Thank you very much subzero.

Zitat

The other user indicated that his NVMe drive was not recognized by the installer with the default 3.2

I can confirm that this is also the case for me with a Gigabyte Z170N MB and a Samsung SM951-NVMe.

So i executed the steps you recommend in [GUIDE] DEBOOTSTRAP: Installing Debian into a folder in a running system.
    It's excellent, so that i could execute all the step desptite me lacking linux knowledge.
    It left me with a running 7.X debian system with a small downside that i did not manage to install a german keyboard layout.
    I also booted this installation successfully.

However when executing the steps from this Guide afterwards: Installation of OpenMediaVault 2.x on Debian 7.x (Wheezy). The system did not boot anymore.
    The boot screen printed "GRU" with a blinking cursor.
    I find this behaviour very strange because i understood that GRUB is a bootmanager and from my understanding installing OMV would not need any changes on the bootmanager.

Am i wrong?

I still have the Linux install that i used for debootstrapping on the machine and i would guess that i can do

Code
    apt-get install grub2
    grub-install /dev/nvme

again to reinstall grub.

This would be my next "move".

I'll post my results here.

Best regards.

• Hi,

i failed doing another try to install grub.
    When i execute grub-install /dev/nvme0n1 i get the message:
    /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?)
    I read some background info about grub. It says that i need to have a seperate bootloader partition for grub.
    I did not create it as it is not listed in your guide.
    Can you please comment whether it is mandatory to have such a partition?

Best regards.

• :) No in fact i did not bind /dev.
    After doing so after executing grub-install i get another two messages:
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: This GPT partition label has no BIOS Boot partition; embedding won't be possible!.
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for cross-disk install.

Do you think i can fix this or do i have to create a bois partition?

• I am sorry for asking these newbie questions but i am a little bit puzzled:
    In other forums i read that GPT is the more "up to date method" and MBR the "old" way.
    So wouldn't it be better if i created a boot partition and use GPT? Or is this somewhat not compatible/ not needed with debian wheezy or OMV.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate your answers.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So wouldn't it be better if i created a boot partition and use GPT? Or is this somewhat not compatible/ not needed with debian wheezy or OMV.

Booting GPT involves using UEFI, so things get complicated in Debian Wheezy. MBR is not supported for disks over 2TB, but for OS disks that's fine. Unless you want to waste a 2TB disk a system OS drive.
    I'd recommend you to read the MB manual see if there is an option for legacy BIOS, to disable UEFI.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And if the drive is a member of an mdadm array, it doesn't need gpt or mbr :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I tried with GPT again first and used an efi partition.

Zitat

so things get complicated in Debian Wheezy

Indeed!
    I tried the hints in the articles here: http://superuser.com/questions…ow-to-reinstall-grub2-efi and here: https://wiki.debian.org/GrubEFIReinstall
    But none gave me a booting system. All stoped with a "GRUB" and blinking cursor on the screen.
    I didn't think that it is so complicated making debian boot. :(
    My MoBo has a legacy option. So i will try with MBR now.

• Hi again. Also using MBR failed for me.
    I executed all steps from the [GUIDE] DEBOOTSTRAP: Installing Debian into a folder in a running system again but used an MBR for partitioning.
    When the system boots grub says: error: no such device: <UUID of my partition that i verified to be correct in fstab and grub.cfg>.

Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!