AFP transfer sometimes very(!) slow

• Oh gosh.. I 'assumed' that so long as I was connecting to an afp share, OS X would index the shared drive. Hmm.. so the netatalk plugin in OMV3 doesn't support indexing. I tried to activate spotlight indexing in OS X, however, I get the message 'indexing is disabled' irrespective of the command I use. I'm not sure if it is a permissions error or just not possible with an AFP share. Thanks for the info.

NAS OMV 3.0.59 Rig: DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLI-DR | Opteron 165 Dual Core (no overclock) | 4GB Corsair Non-ECC DDR400 RAM | OMV3: 1x100GB IDE | Data: 2x 250GB WD 7200rpm, 2x 3TB WD Red, 1x 4TB Samsung 5400rpm

• Sorry to disappoint you but spotlight does not refer to spotlight OS X (took me a while to figure this out). Is a feature intended for gnome tracker (search engine for Linux desktop). If you want spotlight to index AFP I think you need to configure in OS X using cli so spotlight indexes the volume, this IMO it doesn't work. Maybe it works better with some net storage solutions from apple like airport.

I've been doing some research, supposedly, the requirements for indexing is afp and an hfs+ filesystem. I am interested in only indexing one drive in the NAS (which is presently formatted in ext4).

Is it possible to mount/share hfs+ in omv? I understand that I can format the drive in hfs+ in gparted, but before doing all that, are there any negative implications worth knowing? Thanks

NAS OMV 3.0.59 Rig: DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLI-DR | Opteron 165 Dual Core (no overclock) | 4GB Corsair Non-ECC DDR400 RAM | OMV3: 1x100GB IDE | Data: 2x 250GB WD 7200rpm, 2x 3TB WD Red, 1x 4TB Samsung 5400rpm

• Thanks for this - you've saved me a lot of trouble.

So I found a method which works:

- Create a new disk image: sparse bundle
    - Format it in HFS/Journaled
    - Save the bundle in the NAS
    - Mount it when on the MAC

Spotlight indexes such bundles. I'm still testing the method though e.g. whether spotlight indexes such a bundle (unnecessarily) every time it is mounted.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OS X does not index network shares by default, but you can make it happen with the little guide I posted below. Just keep in mind that indexing a share over WiFi will take a VERY long time, and is usually not recommended:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/130462?tstart=0

• OS X does not index network shares by default, but you can make it happen with the little guide I posted below. Just keep in mind that indexing a share over WiFi will take a VERY long time, and is usually not recommended:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/130462?tstart=0

Thanks for this!

Unfortunately, I receive the following upon executing the first few commands (step 3 in your link):

Code
    bash-3.2# mdutil -i on /Volumes/Cloud 
    /Volumes/Cloud:
    	Indexing disabled.
    bash-3.2# mdutil -p /Volumes/Cloud 
    /Volumes/Cloud:
    	Error: datastore publishing not implemented.
    bash-3.2#

Any ideas how I may get this to work?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von RS1 ()

• I don't know if this "old" guide will still work with the latest OSX versions. Apple made a lot of changes with much more restrictions. Under OMV3 you can't set up an afp share by default because it's not implemented.
    Here is a how do to setup netatalk under Debian 8 (OMV3) and create an afp share. I followed this guide by copy and pasting every single command till I could get my afp shares to run. But (!) I just had problems with it because when I copied large files from my Mac to OMV3 (via Lan) I got an interruption after a certain time and had to start again. So I deleted all my afp-shares and went back to smb-shares.
    But as you wrote you just need one single afp share. I had around 10 of them maybe it was too much for the system.
    The best thing is you can try and report back here

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• I am able to create an afp share in OMV3 (after installing/enabling the netatalk plugin). OS X see's and accesses it fine. I haven't tried writing a large file to it yet (will add that to the to do list).

The issue I'm having for now is spotlight indexing. Just can't get it to play nice. At present, I have only got this to work by creating a sparsebundle, storing on NAS, then mounting. But this seems convoluted not to mention risky should the sparsebundle fail for whatever reason.

I'm really keen to find a way of spotlight indexing the AFP share directly.. I'm not sure if it is possible tbh

• Oh shit, sorry I didn't know that there's a netatalk plugin for OMV3. Some months ago I read an thread here that netatalk will not be implemented for OMV3. So forget my post above

Edit: But just look at the linked thread for the installation of Netatalk under Debian 8. Down on the webside there's written how you can enable spotlight under afp.conf

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was able to use the mdutil /Volumes/name -i on command on both my machines, one running Yosemite and the other one El Capitan. Haven't tested on Sierra, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

• I was able to use the mdutil /Volumes/name -i on command on both my machines, one running Yosemite and the other one El Capitan. Haven't tested on Sierra, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I receive an "indexing disabled" message when I try that..

• Offizieller Beitrag

Check inside the share and make sure there isn't a file named ".metadata_never_index". Your Mac won't be able to see it by default, so try to do it over the Debian CLI.

*Edit: If the file exists, remove it by using this command: "sudo rm -rf /.metadata_never_index"

• No joy.. all I have in the share are two .DS_Store files and my data

• Offizieller Beitrag

Okay, this is kind of drastic but you can try these commands on your Mac. Just keep in mind that it has to index everything again, including your local hard drive. Then you can try enabling indexing again on the share:

Code
    sudo mdutil -i off /
    sudo rm -rf /.Spotlight*
    sudo rm -rf /.metadata_never_index
    sudo mdutil -i on /
    sudo mdutil -E /

I almost forgot. Make sure you have write access to the share, so double check your ACLs.

• Okay, I've run those commands. Is there a way I can check whether indexing is enabled for the afp share?

I entered "mdutil /Volumes/Cloud -s" but still received a 'indexing disabled' message in terminal

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is something preventing the indexer from writing the database on the share, but I don't know what exactly. Usually when I have these type of issues, I delete every generated file and folder by OS X and give myself full write permissions, then define the ACLs as I see fit once I get it working again. This definitely is an OS X issue, AFP on OMV plays no part on indexing for any clients. Delete these containers and their files on the AFP share, if they exist:

.DS_Store/
    .AppleDouble/
    .AppleDesktop/
    Network Trash Folder/
    .AppleDB/
    .TemporaryItems/

• I deleted the two .DS Store files. Set myself as 'owner' of the share. Remounted the share in OSX. Executed "mdutil /Volumes/Cloud -i on" in OSX. Nada. "Indexing disabled". I observed that OSX wrote a .DS_Store file to the share. But that is all that changed. Which ACL permissions do you have set?

• That would be great! Really need to get this working. I appreciate your support.

Not sure if this is important - my underlying file system (on which the share 'cloud' resides) is EXT4. Should this be HFS+?

Just to make sure that I'm not missing something in my process - I perform the following:

1. OMV - Shared Folders > Add > (created a new share named 'test')
    2. ACL - owner: RS (read/write/execute), group: users (read/write/execute), Others (none), Replace (on), Recursive (on)
    3. Services - Apple Filing > Settings > General (on)
    4. Services - Apple Filing > Shares > Add ('test') - all other options are left at default
    5. In MacOS Sierra - Connect to server > Server address: afp://... > (Select 'test')
    6. Enter terminal. Execute commands. (Received: indexing disabled)

Not sure if I'm missing something obvious in my above process..

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!