System Disk Died - Help to Recover

• My system disk errors have started to double at an increasing rate and I guess the drive will die any time now.
    I am using an old Seagate 160GB drive but the system is only using about 11GB.

I am currently backing up the System drive weekly with the System Backup option from the backup plug-in.

What is the best way for me to swap out the System Drive with least down time and change of screwing the current data drives?

• You could make an image using Clonezilla, within the backup plugin. Then, you power-off your OMV box and you swap the drives. After that, you will have to have a bootable Clonezilla image to be able to restore the image you backupped before.

If you can not create a bootable Clonezilla image but you have an image of OMV, you could do a fresh install and install the Backup plugin and clonezilla. Then, you reboot into clonezilla from the fresh install and you can recover the image.

Hope it helps!

DISCLAIMER: :!: I'm not a native English speaker, I'm sorry if I don't explain as good as you would want. :!:

My NAS:
    Always the latest OMV Erasmus running on an AMD Sempron 3850 @1.3GHz with 4.9.0 Backports Kernel
    with 120GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO for OpenMediaVault & 2x500GB Primary Data HDD + 1TB Secondary HDD for Backup & 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD for offline backup

Plugin list:
    Flash Memory, Locate, OMV-Extras.org, RSnapshot, Sensors, Syncthing, SMB/CIFS, SSH, USB Backup
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zitat

The Schrödinger's code is that one which is going to work and it's full of bugs at the same time; until you test it, you won't be able to determine it.

• So, my system disk started failing with sector errors to the point I have to replace.
    I have made a clonezilla copy onto a new drive, but some data seems to be corrupt.

i.e. i get the following error, when trying to update
    dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 1245 package 'samba-common':
    duplicate value for `Conflicts' field
    Creating index of upgradeable packages ...
    Creating index of openmediavault plugins ...
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

I have a backup from the System Backup plugin. But how am i supposed to restore it?
    I thought there are also an OMV repair utility for fixing installation problems?

Bad news, is i will have to repeat this exercise soon, as i see the replacement drive is stuffed as well.
    Have ordered a new SSD for the system drive, but need to have the system back up till it gets here

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you had bad sectors on the old drive, clonezilla will likely duplicate them to the new drive. The new drive won't be physically damaged though.

Try omv-aptclean

To restore from the system backup plugin, I need a few more details once you have things in place. Boot systemrescuecd with all drives (except old OS drive) and give me the output of fdisk -l and tell me where you told the backup plugin to backup to.

The omv repair utility fixes a few things like networking, ports, and passwords but not this. It is called omv-firstaid

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• thanks ryecoaaron.

I used your instructions here Backup a live system but had to add -c and it replaced controld and a couple of other files which solved the problem.

Moral of the story, it is not enough to use cloned, if you want to keep any system changes updated.
    i had to use;
    - cloneziller
    - repair the grub boot loader before the disk would boot
    - restore from System Backup plugin
    - restore from System Backup with checksums

Love my OMV, but i think there needs to be more work on the restore/replacement of disks, as the down time was far too long.
    This was the 2nd time is just over 6mths, and the drive i used 320Gb seagate, has 68 errors, so i will have to do again when i get my SSD drive here.

• Offizieller Beitrag

While I agree we need a better backup, backup is not a replacement for availability. Sounds funny since I am typically saying that the other way around. I do have a feature request on bugtracker to use LVM for the boot drive. This would allow easier resizing, backups/snapshots including mountable snapshots and bootable snapshots, and just make everything better.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• ryecoaaron, i had a raid setup on my ubuntu desktop 2yrs and one of the drives got corrupted and trashed the raid.
    for the last 2yrs i have been going through the recovery files and am still finding family photos. from the 700 music albums, i lost about 5 complete and about 30 partial.

That is how I ended up looking at a NAS solution and got onto OMV, as i used the opportunity to setup a media and doc management solution. I have now had 2 system disk failures in the last 6mths and the disk a just put in, will fail any time soon. On top of that, i had to also swap out a 1T5 data drive, because it is about to fail.

I use the Backup Plugin to do a system backup weekly, and the USB backup, with anacron to perform daily backups.....
    yes, i don't remove it. One of these days, i will get into rotating the disks though.

so far, in addition to the system recoveries for the two swap outs (i had to fix grub each time). I have had to restore all the data, including plex and mysql with openkm.
    I would say, it is not the backup that is the issue. I am very satisfied, given the experience with Ubuntu 2yrs ago.

It is only the restore process that is cumbersome (for a SOHO environment with a couple of disks).

if your wondering about the HDDs...
    1x1T5 Seagate and 2 from 3 320G Seagate - all purchased around the same time (but different countries), 1 x 250G and 1 x 160G Seagate - bought slightly earlier and all on the blink.

I start to think Seagate engineer their drives to fail after so many operating hours.

The only thing that gives me second thoughts on the SSD drive is, plexmedia uses the /tmp directory for transcoding i believe.

What is your view on SSD or HDD for a NAS as media server too?

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is a lot of drive failures!

The backup plugin is ok for backups but the restore has always been the problem. LVM would solve that.

I have 8 seagate 1TB drives in my server that are two years old, run 24/7 and they still work well.

I use both ssd and hd for OMV. I think they are both fine. I use the flashmemory plugin even with a high quality ssd. /tmp is tmpfs which stores everything in memory unless you run out of memory. Then it is written to the swap file. So, if you have enough memory then /tmp won't put any wear on an ssd.

• Hey guys, I don't know if it's okay to recycle that old thread, but I'm feeling my person is a bit too unimportant for opening new threads and filling the forum with my personal trash. Feel free to move my post into a new thread if necessary!

I had a system drive failure some days ago and the OS drive is completely lost. I was using a 128GB Verbatim SSD and it failed after roundabout 2 years and a few days (after I run out of warranty of course!)...
    In general my OMV server was intented to be a testing environment but you get used to it if you have it and as it was running pretty fine for over 1 year or so, I'm missing some stuff now (mostly Syncthing-config, local certificates etc.) and need to do a restore. I used the System Backup Plugin and have some (more or less) actual backups of the OS drive I'd like to restore.

What I already did: I replaced the defect 128GB Verbatim SSD with a 1TB WD HDD, installed Debian 8.9.0 from ISO (in UEFI mode as I did with the SSD before) and OMV from the repository, I copied the last backup to a USB-HDD and downloaded the current SystemRescueCD ISO to boot from that image. I tried to follow ryecoaaron's excellent manual on Backup a live system but fail in one point:

After

Code
    dd if=/mnt/backup/grub_parts.dd of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

all partitions on the HDD are lost (before there were six partitions, where sda1 is the EFI system partition, sda2 a 6.5G, sda3 2.8G, sda4 63.9G swap, sda5 381.5M and sda6 857.5G). Thats why the next step with

Code
    mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1

will fail as there is no sda1.

In general, I'm okay with doing a clean reinstall and setting up all that stuff again, but if you have an idea what im doing wrong, I'll be very thankful for a hint or a solution for my dilemma. :whistling:

• Re,

but if you have an idea what im doing wrong, I'll be very thankful for a hint or a solution for my dilemma.

I assume, since you have a (U)EFI partition, your old drive used a GPT scheme, instead of the old MBR sheme ... so the command
    dd if=/mnt/backup/grub_parts.dd of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1 is wrong because GPT uses 34x512Byte ...

Sc0rp

• I assume, since you have a (U)EFI partition, your old drive used a GPT scheme, instead of the old MBR sheme ... so the commanddd if=/mnt/backup/grub_parts.dd of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1 is wrong because GPT uses 34x512Byte ...

Sc0rp

Yep, you're absolutely right, I didn't have that in mind. But unfortunately, the backup option seems to be created for a BIOS installation as the grub_parts.dd-file is only a 512 Bytes file and the grub.dd only 446 Bytes. Seems like I've got to do a clean reinstall and choose another backup option (and must not use Verbatim SSD :rolleyes: ).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, you're absolutely right, I didn't have that in mind. But unfortunately, the backup option seems to be created for a BIOS installation as the grub_parts.dd-file is only a 512 Bytes file and the grub.dd only 446 Bytes. Seems like I've got to do a clean reinstall and choose another backup option (and must not use Verbatim SSD ).

Backup only supports the normal installation method used by the OMV iso (which does not support uefi). That said, it is only the bootloader. The important part of the backup is done with rsync. So, recreate the partitions, restore the backup, install the bootloader from a rescue iso. You might be able to re-install fresh and just rsync the backup over the new install.

• Backup only supports the normal installation method used by the OMV iso (which does not support uefi). That said, it is only the bootloader. The important part of the backup is done with rsync. So, recreate the partitions, restore the backup, install the bootloader from a rescue iso. You might be able to re-install fresh and just rsync the backup over the new install.

Yep, that was my fault: I definetely wanted to use EFI during install and found out later, that's not that usual so far. For documentation: I was not able to restore my backup in the way you described, but as my NAS was previously declared just for testing, I did a clean reinstall and I'm now another tester of OMV4 *g* So let's see if it is stable enough for my continous testing productive environment :whistling::rolleyes::thumbup:

Thanks a lot ryecoaaron for your help and your work on omv-extras! You guys are doing an awsome job!!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!