My Guide to Debugging Disk Spin-ups

• I justed typed in "nano spindown.sh" ^^
    got it starting by "bash spindown.sh"

my output:

root@Pi:~# bash spindown.sh
    Putting the disk sda into standby...
    SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    Checking the status of sda.
    SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    Drive is still in standby. Sleeping 45 seconds...
    Drive is still in standby. Sleeping 45 seconds...

it does this 7 times, then im back to root@Pi

• I know this topic is old but I have similar message:

Code
    sudo hdparm -C /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
    SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  f0 00 01 00 50 00 ff 0a 00 00 00 00 00 1d 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
     drive state is:  unknown

I know my disk do not spindown (I hear spinning all the time...). I already tried configuration in openmediavault but its not helping. My config in OMV5:

Storage>Disk>/dev/sdb

• Advanced Power Management: 64 - Intermediate power usage with standby
    • Automatic Acoustic Management: Disabled
    • Spindown time: 5 minutes (tried 30 min but i dont want to wait to long...)
    • Write cache: disabled

Storage>S.M.A.R.T.>Settings

• Enable: on
    • Check interval: 360 (for testing)

Storage>S.M.A.R.T.>Devices

• /dev/sdb Monitor: enabled

Can someone pls give me advice about this problem? Disk in new HDD 3,5'' WD Elements 10TB connected by USB.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Disk in new HDD 3,5'' WD Elements 10TB connected by USB.

Check if it is an SMR type disk. These types of disks need to reorder data when it is not being written/read, so they keep spinning often.

• Are you running the script as root?

I'm trying to find out what is occupying the hdd.

I was using it last year without any problems, but now it gives an error, I don't know what has changed and I don't understand why it gives an error.

I don't know how to login with SSH without root. i used to run it with root session.

Code
    root@debian:~# ./spindownalp.sh
    ./spindownalp.sh: 20: ./spindownalp.sh: cannot create /proc/sys/vm/block_dump: Directory nonexistent
  • Not sure. Try as root

touch /proc/sys/vm/block_dump

and then run the script as root.

Thanks for your reply and help.

I log in as root, add sudo, same result: block_dump': No such file or directory

yes there are really no block_dump files in /proc/sys/vm/.

It used to exist and was working, I don't know how it was deleted by itself or what changed, I don't know how to add the block_dump file and where to find it.

Code
    root@debian:~# sudo su
    root@debian:~# /proc/sys/vm/block_dump'a dokunun
    dokunma: '/proc/sys/vm/block_dump' öğesine dokunamaz: Böyle bir dosya veya dizin yok
    root@debian:~# sudo touch /proc/sys/vm/block_dump
    dokunma: '/proc/sys/vm/block_dump' öğesine dokunamaz: Böyle bir dosya veya dizin yok
    root@debian:~#
  • It appears on newer versions of the Linux kernel, the /proc/sys/vm/block_dump has been removed in favour of tracepoints.

I'm also facing issue where drives do not appear to be going into standby. When forced they, they stay in standby but won't automatically put themselves there. I'm using HD-IDLE.

• You can try fatrace

https://manpages.debian.org/bu…fatrace/fatrace.8.en.html

And make sure it is not SMART that is waking up your drives.

My disks are waking up, usually in under 10 minutes (default hd-idle timeout), sometimes slightly longer. SMART is disabled in the OMV configuration.

I have /home on disk (not on SD card). fatrace shows that the php session cleaner is accessing /home, but I think that is a false alarm because of the systemd unit using ProtectHome=yes, and not a real access to the disk.

It's a bit more complicated because I'm using ZFS so something else might be happening before the scenes that doesn't show in fatrace.

• This should work:

Block_dump reporting missing from Ubuntu 22.04
    I am trying to monitor what is causing my disks to come out of standby. One of the tools I was using on Ubuntu 20.04 was writing to /proc/sys/vm/block_dump,…
    askubuntu.com

I do this with "byobu" or "tmux" in order to open multiple terminals

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!