Web GUI Stops Working after a random amount of up-time?

• Hello! I have been having huge issues with OMV for the past few weeks. I have tried fresh installs and more. I had been getting issues with the server essentially blowing up overnight, every night. When I wake each morning I have issues logging onto the server in both SSH and through the web GUI. The first attempt to connect to openmediavault.local or 192.168.0.14 will result in either a 502 or a ngix error. After refreshing the page it will give me "connection refused" message. I reinstalled on a new disk and the same thing happens. On a fresh install!

• Offizieller Beitrag

What plugins are you using? What kind of system?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have no plugins installed, it is a fresh install. now even restarting does not fix the GUI, and the server does not show up on the network. I am using an old thinkcenter lenovo mini PC. Specs: Daul core duo core @1.8 ghz 4gb ram, integrated graphics. 2 1tb hdds in mirror, one 320gb for install.]

Funny thing is the intel compute stick cpu is more powerful than this one. It has exact same 1.8GHz CPU but it is QUAD CORE so 2x more preformance, but less RAM.

• I now have gotten a monitor and plugged it into my server. It seems to be having issues with everything. It is not on the network, it will not log in so I can't use omv-firstaid and I cannot SSH into it.

When I enter the correct password for "admin" it goes files of code appear and then it tells me to log in again over and over and over. The code only appears for 0.1 seconds or less sometimes not at all. BUt when I enter the wrong password it tells me it is wrong.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you run memtest on the memory? This sounds like hardware issues.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Anything in /var/log/messages? This has to be a hardware issue. OMV should have no issues running on that system.

• Does it mean anything that I am running it off of a flash drive? I now cannot get access to my server either directly, via SSH, or the Web GUI. It says "Connection refused". It started saying this when I noticed that in the general tab the server was reporting that it was listening for the web GUI on port 22 rather than port 5555 that I had previously set (I was using port 5555 to connect via SSH the whole time, even after I noticed.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

It means a lot that you are running off the flash drive. If you don't have the flashmemory plugin installed, it takes very little time for a flash drive to fail.

• I have tried reinstalling things many times, it does not work still. I cannot log in on the server itself because I enter the correct info and it brings me back to log in again without any errors. I can access the Web GUI but not log in. I also have no access to the server via SSH. SSH attemps return: Network error: Connection Refused.

I do not know what I am supposed to do.. Keep in mind that this is a fresh install of the latest stable build of OMV.

Now I have gotten into the server directly with username root and password set during installation. I reset the network interface because it was giving me problems saying "No interface detected." but still cannot SSH or use the Web GUI.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you still using the same usb flash drive?

If it can't find you network adapter, you need to install a different one (temporarily) and then install the backports 3.16 kernel using omv-extras.

• I have tried installing a fresh install on a hard drive, a new flash stick. I now get a lot of errors, really slow GUI and "Communication Failure". When I try to use most of omv-firstaid's options it will chuck me about 100 errors and fail. the thing says eth0: 192.168.0.14 now but now getting new errors.

P.S where is your family? Don't you do some dinner or family thing on New Years?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Install omv-extras if you can and install the backports 3.16 kernel. Hopefully that fixes things.

Already made steak on the grill and family is going to bed. Not doing anything for new years.

• Just curious what is the kernel?

P.S I think OMV is ****ed up. I try to install a fresh install on a fresh flash drive or hard drive and it failed saying: "Installation failed, Failing step: Install the system"

• Offizieller Beitrag

Probably something wrong with your repos... What is the output of apt-get update

You can install the backports kernel if omv-extras is installed by - omv-mkconf omvextrasorg installbackports

• The output gives the usual for me (Every time I use linux, no matter what device or what I do). Apt-get starts working but then at the end it says:
    ------------------------
    Failed to fetch ____________________________________________________________________/packages 403 Forbidden (x8)
    Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    ------------------------

The output of "omv-mkconf omvextrasorg installbackports" is updating... then nothing just goes to next line with root@screamserver:.

I have access to the GUI now. I just had to use http://url.local:5555 instead of http://url.local, and now have access to the GUI through the latter URL.

To even get the server to fully boot I had to go back to my old install on a flash drive that will likely die very soon as I ran it without the correct plugin for about 1.5-2 weeks. Is it possible to get the same install (as in cloned or something) on a new flash drive (Kingston Datatraveler G4 3.0 16GB) rather than my old Mimobot 4GB darthvader drive from 2010 that looks like

I could not boot from a flash drive with the .iso file made bootable with rufus or win32diskimager and install it on another flash drive. Every time I tried it would fail somewhere between install the system and steps beyond that. The old flash drive approach was the only that worked.

So final (hopeflly) Question is can/should I copy the OMV over to a new drive? And how?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!