Hosting a web server

• Hi guys,I apologize if the topic has been treated on another thread but I would like to know:

What is the best way to have a web server hosted on the same server than OMV?

A) Is there a plugin for OMV?
    B) Is it better to have a VM with the virtualbox plugin? what OS would you recommend?
    C) Other...?

I know a little bit PHP + mysql, but maybe nowadays is better to have a package like GUPPY?

Thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try the nginx plugin. It allows you to configure php and you can use the mysql plugin if you need a database. No idea what guppy is.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hope he is not talking about the fish "guppy" :D No I think he was refering to http://ghc.freeguppy.org/artic…g=165&mnuid=101&tconfig=0 . Seams to be a kind of web portal thing.

But on the top siulman PLEASE read about OMV and what kind of Plugins are around instead of asking those questions. Because if you would have done it, you would know about nginx.
    Ryecoaaron has probably better things todo as to answer such stupid questions. And sorry to say so, just because you write down you would apologize for it does not make it better.

And no, im not angry nor anything else. I just write in a direct way so ppl realize how lazy they are.

• Try the nginx plugin. It allows you to configure php and you can use the mysql plugin if you need a database. No idea what guppy is.

Thanks @ryecoaaron,

I found a really interesting Video about this plugin which shows exactly how it works and it's exactly what I want.

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

You can change the thread as "solved".

@mutosan, I won't lose my time to answer people like you with such attitude... you have clearly shown what kind of person you are with your comment.

• If you want to host a PHP based site with web server, why not do it with Apache or Nginx. If you don't know how to setup a web server, you can use PaaS, like Cloudways for that. The server you launch using this PaaS will already have web server and some other packages already installed and configure.

• I also want to host a web app I wrote in PHP on OMV. My apps been down for a week now and I need it back. I just transferred everything I had on a NAS to a new OMV install. I used a machine that used to host my web app to run OMV hoping to combine my LAMP server and my NAS functions into one machine. Now that some are recommending docker I'm going to try the docker container of mariadb if there isn't one for mysql. Now I need to figure out how to use the existing web server OMV or install one to run in addition. I also need PHP.

What is the best way to do that on 4.1.22? Is it still the nginx plugin? Won't that conflict with the one already running to serve omvadmin? Would docker be better? The answer to the first question should also answer the last three I guess.

(Edited 12/15)
    I've loaded the nginx plugin. At this point, the question is now what do I do? When I used apache all I did was put my PHP code in the right directory and it just worked. Don't bother with the question about docker. It seems to have a learning curve that I don't have time for. I'm going to watch the video shown above. Any additional help on how "servers" and "pools" translate to directories would be appreciated though.

• Sorry for the dumb question and for being off topic at the same time, but I see there are a lot of people here which understand something about this topic. I'm about to open an online shop and I don't know which server I need. There will be more than 1000 different products and I think I need a lot of space to store information about them. By my calculation, it will require about 40TB of free space. One of my friends told me that for this purpose I need an instant dedicated server. He has even found one for me. But I want an opinion from someone who knows a little more about it. That's why I'm here.

• It appears the nginx plugin is no longer around. A shame, because i need to host a simple web page on my LAN and nginx appears to be already included in OMV installation, but i can't figure out how to make it host an additional page.

New to Linux | Trying to build a proper home server in spare time.

• please use this stack and change to point to your dominion.

only need to copy your HTML files of your page on

Code
    /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/
  • please use this stack and change to point to your dominion.

only need to copy your HTML files of your page on

Code
    /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/

Some litches in the docker-compose.yml, It could be as simple as:

Code
    version: "2.1"

services:
      httpd:
        image: httpd:alpine
        restart: unless-stopped
        ports:
          - 8880:80
        volumes:
          - /mnt/mydominio.com:/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/    # Change here to something like /srv/dev-disk-by-...

Your Website goes into the directory you mount to usr/local/apache2/htdocs

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Late to reply - in the end found out how to do it without GUI by simply copying and slightly modifying already existing files in /etc/nginx/sites_available and /etc/nginx/sites_enabled. But are you suggesting running a Docker container for the mentioned task? Though i admit i don't know much about Docker, isn't this method excessive (not to say more difficult), considering that nginx already comes installed & running by default on OMV?

New to Linux | Trying to build a proper home server in spare time.

• Late to reply - in the end found out how to do it without GUI by simply copying and slightly modifying already existing files in /etc/nginx/sites_available and /etc/nginx/sites_enabled. But are you suggesting running a Docker container for the mentioned task? Though i admit i don't know much about Docker, isn't this method excessive (not to say more difficult), considering that nginx already comes installed & running by default on OMV?

is not excessive, and really easy, and permit to have several HTTP pages in a separate world to avoid that problems in one affect the others.

I can only second what raulfg3 said.

Running an additional nginx / apache process is not much overhead and you protect your OMV from errors in the config files.

Imgin an OMV upgrade which does not play well with your nginx config.

If you prefere nginx over apache use this image: https://hub.docker.com/_/nginx

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!