add/remove backup disks and shares

• Hello,
    Firstly, merry christmas to everyone ;-).
    I am happy with OMV since some month now. I use Greyhole but like any connected device, the only safe backup solution is to also have an unplugged copy in an other place. So I would like to keep an rsync copy of my important file. I have an eSata docking station where I have put an HDD. Inside OMV interface I have formatted this disk, configure shares on it and use RSync Job also from the interface to copy files from the shares to the backup shares (the -L additional command give the ability to follow the symlinks so Greyhole symlink is not a problem for rsync).
    Until there, all is ok. But now I would like to unplug the HDD. In filesystem, the unmount button is disabled for this disk. Maybe because they are shares configured on it. But I do not want to remove them since I also have the RSync jobs that use these shares...
    Is there a nice solution to my problem ?
    Did you have some advices for me ?
    Kind regards,
    Cinhil

• As long as there are shares on it (active), you cannot unmount it. If you want to remove the drive, then the shares are useless anyhow? At the moment I do not understand what you are trying to achieve with it.

You could simply setup a second OMV, where you then RSYNC to. The likelyhood, that both OMVs are killed at the same time is close to zero.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Hi,
    Electrical overload caused by lightning usually burns more than one PC, same for house fire.
    I only tried to achieve rsync with a backup disk locally, usual strategy for backup. Once backup is done, the disk has to be moved somewhere else.
    Rsync service provided by the OMV web interface uses shares, so I did create shares on backup disk.
    I can mount the disk and execute rsync from the command line without using the web interface but I would like to achieve this from the web interface.
    Cinhil

• Okay,

you could set it up as a cron job in the guy and not using rsync from within the GUI but rsync cmdline with cron. Just one idea to workaround it.

RSYNC is created to sync two filesystems across two servers. You CAN use it to syncronise two filesystems locally, but that was not the purpose of it.

Also maybe you can use something like tar to write a backup? You need to untar it and cannot simply access the files (which ist the beauty of the rsync method), but you have your data and can at least open the tarfile with a tar reader (which exists for every OS).

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!