Owncloud Plugin - VM - Dockerimage or seafile - advise needed

• Hello Community

I am running a OMV 1.0 Installation on a HP Microserver GEN9. Currently it provides more or less the same functionality as my old nas being just a big mirrored Space for data storage and providing Cifs Shares.
    What I want to do is providing some Cloud functionality to my Family so that data can be shared by email link to others with Password protection and expiration date.
    Also I want to use this Cloud add on for backing up data from the Windows PC and Android Smartphones for photo/WhatsApp media backup.
    I understand that the owncloud plugin is based on Version 6 and we already have Version 8 out so I do not know if using the plugin is a good idea.
    I also had a quick look at seafile which I think is nearly the same but with the Advantage of having the possibility to specify more than the Image Folder on the smatphone for autoupload.
    Now I would like to know what is the best and most stable solution together with my omv Setup as this should be used within the Family without permanent maintenance and breakdowns.
    Should I start with the docker plugin and use a docker solution? should I use virtualbox and a separate vm? Would your recommend seafile or owncloud?
    Thanks for your Feedbacks in advance
    best regards
    Christian

• Should I start with the docker plugin and use a docker solution?

If you want to use Owncloud or Seafile, absolutely yes!
    Owncloud will be not supported anymore in OMV 3.x. So using a docker container would be the better solution.
    Depending on what you really wanna do with it, you have to decide by your own if you prefer seafile or owncloud. Owncloud is more public (imho) what means that you get more plugins etc. (I don´t say that it is better than seafile!)

You could also setup just a SMB or FTP Server to backup your files. Then you do not even need such a solution.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!