Backing up system drive

• Hi, is there a reasonable straight forward method that I can use to backup my OMV system drive? I have the system installed on 32GB USB stick in a HP NL54 and I've seen a few posts on plugins that can be used, but the procedure seemed quite long winded.

I've only been able to find one plugin that could potentially do this which uses something called Clonezilla (I'm not a Linux expert, but am always willing to learn!)

Cheers

• Offizieller Beitrag

The openmediavault-backup plugin can backup the system drive to a data drive easily. The restore is what is long winded. This plugin can also install clonezilla to boot on the system. Instructions on how to use it are on the tab. Otherwise, you can boot Clonezilla can be run on any system.

You could also use win32diskimager on windows if you don't a 32gb backup file. I'm sure there are other windows program that can image the drive as well.

Whatever you do, please use the flashmemory plugin to make your usb stick last.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for that. I think I understand what you're saying, although I'll have to read up on Clonezilla to understand how it works.

The alternative I guess would be to just remove the system disk, plug it into my Windows PC and read the image using win32diskimager.

Are there any instructions for flashmemory plugin, do I need to follow this procedure before enabling it and rebooting?

Fstab (/etc/fstab) needs to be changed manually. Following these steps to change:

Login as root locally or via ssh
    Execute the following command: nano /etc/fstab
    Add noatime and nodiratime to root options. See before and after example lines:
    BEFORE:UUID=ccd327d4-a1ed-4fd2-b356-3b492c6f6c34 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1AFTER:UUID=ccd327d4-a1ed-4fd2-b356-3b492c6f6c34 / ext4 noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro 0 1Comment out the swap partition. See before and after example lines (only need to add a # to beginning of the line):
    BEFORE:UUID=a3c989d8-e12b-41d3-b021-098155d6b21b none swap sw 0 0AFTER:#UUID=a3c989d8-e12b-41d3-b021-098155d6b21b none swap sw 0 0Ctrl-o to save
    Ctrl-x to exit
    Enable the plugin
    Reboot

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!